Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: California Official Discussion

After 2 solid listens... And hearing Sorry. I can say I like the album as a whole. When I sit here and dissect the album song by song, I can find a lot to question. The over abudence of "Woahs" and "ohs" is almost a parody. While I get the mood they try to convey. It's almost as if a desperate cry. ToyPaj and EOTS never had this over done. On California it's at nasuam. It's like no we really are blink 182 can't you hear us ohhing and ahhing. It's as if they asked what a bunch of people who only listen to All The Small Things twice what they love about blink 182. At the end of the day it sounds like blink. But on the initial listen I couldn't help but feel like Mark was singing lyrics All Time Low wrote for them. And that bothers me.

But as I said earlier I really did enjoy the album. It's catchy as fuck. Easy to sing along to. Killer instruments that feel like blink. The songs are in your face and fast paced. Matts rapsy , jaded voice (although not utilized enough) gets under your skin and gives you chills. This is also the first time I can honestly say they have a song on the album that feels like it came from the dude ranch days. Something they promised on the last two releases and in mind failed on.

It's a solid start for a new line up. As AP put it. Skiba is their secret weapon. They need to let him go to town with lyrics. They need to branch out a bit. They need more songs like "Hey I'm Sorry". They need that one song that will once again get you to run up to your parents and scream " I hate you"

8/10

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

Intro
Mark verse
Mark chorus
Matt verse
Matt chorus
Bridge
Chorus together

Jokes aside, i'm really digging at first listen Cynical (wish it was sung by Tom), LA and Home is... (tho' it reminds of another song idk...). Left Alone and Rabbit Hole aren't bad as well

Rest sounds pretty boring to me, all those nanana's and ohoho's :/
Feels like best parts about this album are the bridges/interludes (like in No Future)

Edit: just heard the bonus track, pretty average but it has a nice melody
Last edited by Marco on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

I wanted you but never told. I went nowhere, you went gold...

Marco wrote:Intro
Mark verse
Mark chorus
Matt verse
Matt chorus
Bridge
Chorus together

Jokes aside, i'm really digging at first listen Cynical (wish it was sung by Tom), LA and Home is... (tho' it reminds of another song idk...). Left Alone and Rabbit Hole aren't bad as well

Rest sounds pretty boring to me, all those nanana's and ohoho's :/
Feels like best parts about this album are the bridges/interludes (like in No Future)

Edit: just heard the bonus track, pretty average but it has a nice melody

I'm surprised you didn't like San Diego, seemed right up your street.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

KayTheMagnificent wrote:I'm surprised you didn't like San Diego, seemed right up your street.

mmm not enjoying mark too much on that. i like the build up to the chorus if you wanna know ;p

funny that you and others were surprised by my opinion on new blink haha
i remember yodda was disappointed i wasn't loving the shit out of Rabbit Hole at first

I wanted you but never told. I went nowhere, you went gold...

Hey, I'm Sorry is probably the best song on the record. Elevator, redo the survey.

If they did write that pre-Feldy, confirmed he ruined the record.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

Hey I'm Sorry is fucking great.

So. Now that this album has had a week to marinate, I love it even more than I did when it dropped last week. "Left Alone" is still by far my favorite (obviously excluding "Cynical"). "Teenage Satellites" has grown on me a fuck ton this week.

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)

Still really enjoy this record. It's fun. That's all I want out of pop punk music. It doesn't have to be spectacularly deep or meaningful I just want a cool melody and a crisp sound.

Gotten some pretty bad reviews from a couple of places. The biggest thing I take away from the album, regardless of Feldmann's influence, is that they sound like they're having fun again. That's all I wanted.

To be honest some of the reviews and criticisms of it have made me question myself as a music fan. Cause I REALLY like this, and there's a fair amount of people that REALLY don't, and for them the reasons are obvious. So I'm kinda going "Am I missing something?" But I'm comforted in thinking ehhh actually nah cause I was expecting a pop punk album not a fuckin Beatles record lol.

the actual official reviews are oddly mixed. some super positive, some a little negative, quite a few in the middle. I know loads of blink fans who think its awful and people who never liked blink who loved it.

I think the point is the album is different, and has different elements. appeals widely but not too much to anyone specifically and thats kind of perfect for a 'trying to be famous again' album but thats never been the blink I wanted.

Whats hilarious is my bands drummer who mostly listens to old school 70s/80s american punk, and goth music, who hated everything blink ever did and only gave this a spin because of Skiba... he loved the whole damn thing, front to back. not a single track was a problem for him. I was amazed haha

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Right! Music tends to have that effect. It's very hard to pin down exactly the reason why you like something sometimes.

I looked at Neighborhoods as a different version of a band I always loved, and I took the same approach with California. It's like "the same but different" I guess haha