Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: California Official Discussion

The beginning of The Only Thing That Matters reminds me of Point of View and the end is totally the end of Rollercoaster, and I love that about it. I'm really enjoying the entire album. I listen to a lot of different types of music and I'm glad I never really got into any of the bands you guys are mentioning (all time low, fallout boy, good charlotte, simple plan, etc) because when I listen to this album, all I hear is blink 182. I couldn't understand what they meant in interviews when they said "this sounds like blink 182 in 2016", but after listening to it several times that's really the best way to describe the album.

FINALLY was able to get some listens in! The album is super catchy and enjoyable and a perfect summer album like I expected. What I didn't expect is to hear some songs that could serve as a Simple Plan song (She's Out Of Her Mind)...but I'm over that. It's fine.

Basically, Matt Skiba is incredible and I enjoyed his parts much more than Marks. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but Skiba is awesome.

The highlights are San Diego, Left Alone, The Only Thing That Matters, Cynical, and Sober. I actually like Los Angeles (despite how it sounds like a butt rock tune) and California. The only song feel like I want to skip (besides joke songs) is Home is Such a Lonely Place...not feeling that one yet.

In the end, Sober and She's Out of Her Mind should be the #2 and #3 singles behind Bored to Death and I believe they chose right with Bored to Death as the first glimpse into blink w/ Skiba.

After about what I would estimate to be 15 or so listens I have final thoughts...

- Autotune: I see a lot of people complaining about this. All I can say is it's 2016. Everything is super polished these days and these guys are in their 40's. Not everyone is Bono. Mark's such great singer (always has been) but his range is limited at his age. I sure as hell don't want to listen to a record where he's struggling to hit notes. Autotune is fine by me.

-Na Na Na Woahh: Yeah it's overdone. I don't mind Na Na Na and woah. But they did jam them into places that they didn't need to be. Still, it's not enough to ruin any songs for me.

-Lyrics: I don't complain much about lyrics because just because we can't figure them out doesn't mean that they don't mean anything. Mark and Matt could come out and explain them and we'd all be like ohhh ok. But some of the lyrics are a little too similar and California's lyrics are just so cheesy.

-Mix: This records mix is fucking awesome. This is one of my favorite mixes on any record in recent memory. The guitars are so crisp. The drums have so much punch and really stand out. And the bass sounds incredible. Which rules because Mark's bass has been really drowned out on the last two records.

-Matt Skiba: Need I say more? The bridge on San Diego is such a classic Skiba chord progression. His voice is so amazing.

-Song structuring: I'm as much a fan of verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus as anyone, but I would have liked at least a few songs not to follow that formula. Also, we don't need Mark and Matt on every song.

All in all I'm happy with what we got. There are 12 songs on here that I REALLY like. And the other four are still OK. I think some people can't get out of their own way in associating this record with Tom and previous blink. Would we have gotten a better record with Tom? I think so. But this is what blink-182 is now. And I think it's pretty good.

It doesnt matter what I do, I'm whats wrong.
This is fate

they have another ambitious album in them. it's almost perplexing that an album involving travis barker could be this middle of the road (idk if generic is the right word) even with the drums.

I think a big problem is that they and feldmann have too much in common if that makes sense. we've got someone the same age and same scene as blink who likes working really quickly teamed up with a band that just wants to make a quick album for fun. the end result is a mostly middle of the road album that feels rushed but has some real good moments.

I think what blink needs is a producer who is different from them and can add more outside perspective. I've got two years to build up my resume and i will save blink guys

for those who dont think this album is generic, if it makes you feel any better hisalp is the first link i opened up and i thought it was a joke. not that it is bad, i just didnt think it was blink lol

You also have to assume that like 70% of the reviews are by the mark equivalent of tombots. When Ava started a clear line was drawn and even though this is still blink, it still created a line this time too, it's just not as apparent (until you go on Reddit lol). Just go on to any post saying how the album isn't good and no matter the reason you'll get 10 people saying that overproduction isn't the problem, that they are just salty toms gone, etc. There's just as many if not more people TELLING people that don't like the album why they don't like it as there are people who genuinely don't like it because it doesn't have tom. The fan base is in a fucked state.

plopbellie wrote:You also have to assume that like 70% of the reviews are by the mark equivalent of tombots. When Ava started a clear line was drawn and even though this is still blink, it still created a line this time too, it's just not as apparent (until you go on Reddit lol). Just go on to any post saying how the album isn't good and no matter the reason you'll get 10 people saying that overproduction isn't the problem, that they are just salty toms gone, etc. There's just as many if not more people TELLING people that don't like the album why they don't like it as there are people who genuinely don't like it because it doesn't have tom. The fan base is in a fucked state.

It's been that way for awhile. I think Mark diehards are insanely more disillusioned than TomBots, and far less willing to debate it beyond "Mark didn't break up blink twice." It's just like, If that's all you have to say, why even try to engage somebody who doesn't think like you do? It's vocal minorities, akin to gun rights activists or religious extremism, all on the blink-182 level, haha.

twitter

carlcockatoo wrote:they have another ambitious album in them. it's almost perplexing that an album involving travis barker could be this middle of the road (idk if generic is the right word) even with the drums.

I think a big problem is that they and feldmann have too much in common if that makes sense. we've got someone the same age and same scene as blink who likes working really quickly teamed up with a band that just wants to make a quick album for fun. the end result is a mostly middle of the road album that feels rushed but has some real good moments.

I think what blink needs is a producer who is different from them and can add more outside perspective. I've got two years to build up my resume and i will save blink guys

agreed, but for this album I do think they needed someone like Feldmann who they're all buddy buddy with to make this even happen

in the future i hope they grow some balls and go out of their comfort zone a bit.

i think Mark's almost trying too hard to preserve blink-182's "legacy" or whatever. I think his best work since untitled and +44 were the songs he wrote with City Comma State way back when. those songs were catchy and poppy but still progressive, vibey and memorable in their own way.

California (song) just feels...weak. I feel like it is way more of an Owl City song than Home Is Such a Lonely Place, and while I wouldn't mind hearing that from Owl City, I find it exceptionally flimsy coming from blink. Part of that has to do with the overproduction of those songs, as ballads from blink always sound best when they're stripped down. I know a lot of people fucking hate Tom/AVA, but the structure of Anomaly and Invisible Parade are ideal for what blink ballads should be. Even Boxing Day was a great simple song that was served so much better because it didn't have a ton of bells and whistles.

Having all this synth and strings tied with the corny-ass lyrics needlessly dressed up HISALP and California. The inflection and wistful poignancy they're trying to evoke feels so overdone that it comes off as manufactured.

Other thoughts:

• Los Angeles sticks in my craw. I tend to skip it with fierce regularity because it reeks of Fall Out Boy. I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy that song very much because I simply can't compromise on that similarity. It's the first blink song I've heard that makes me feel that way, and it's powerfully disappointing.
  • The 3rd time Mark goes "ANH ANH ANH ANTISOCIAL" in She's Out Her Mind makes me so uncomfortable. I love the song, but it sounds like he's fucking me from behind when his hyper-nasal ANGH-ANGH-ANGH's hit my eardrums. It's a bit of a cacophony. Pls staph, Mark
  • I'm more impressed by Skiba with each listen through. His guitars don't bring a ton of unique play to the table, nor does he have a bold or unique style, but he's not as beholden to guitar trickery like Tom was. Tom was/is always going for these big stomping guitar riffs that demand their own time. Skiba is more utilitarian, but compensates mightily for it with just how damn good his voice is. I don't particularly love his lyrics, but they're in no way terrible or cringe worthy. He answered the call for this album, and considering what this album IS (summer anthems for cruising the beach and partying back in 2002) , Skiba did just fine. He's got more to offer going forward, and I can't wait to hear him stretch his legs.
  • Travis either didn't overly contribute or couldn't find his way through this album. I found myself routinely ignoring the drums, not because they sucked, but they just didn't stand out at all. Part of it is the production of Feldmann - the shimmering layers of guitars and especially the copious syrup he dipped the vocals in ultimately rendered the drums a tertiary element. Another part of it is that I feel Travis' drum style played very well off of Tom's songwriting. So many of Tom's songs profit beautifully from Travis coming in and taking a 7 song into a 10 song. With Mark and Matt, a lot of these songs were already 7s and 8s, but Travis didn't really lift them anywhere. It's so odd considering that Travis was the one who brought Feldmann into the mix, yet I think I might not be the only one who feels like 1/3rd of blink wasn't showcased gloriously in this, their supposed return to pop greatness.
  • The joke songs do nothing for me. I feel like this album would have benefited from their absence, but I'm also a humorless cunt.
  • Bored To Death is, joke songs aside, my least favorite song on the album. It's not from exhaustion, either. The song feels out of place both stylistically and in tone lacking the lyrical theme semblance of San Diego and Left Alone, or satisfying punchiness of Cynical and Kings of the Weekend. It and No Future have similarities in these regards, but the chorus of No Future is infinitely more satisfying. Not only a bad song, but a poor choice of single, especially when you have Left Alone and She's Out Her Mind kicking so much ass and holding so much appeal.

twitter