Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: Rabbit Hole Discussion

yodda wrote:why does no one want a masterpiece?
I quite enjoy them
Radiohead's recent one was lovely (all well into their 40's mind)

It's not that I don't want a masterpiece...I just don't EXPECT a masterpiece. I suppose my grounded and realistic expectations for what a band that was never really overly talented can do past their prime is asinine.

And I'll still love the album. Did with Neighborhoods and DED...just I know this album won't top Untitled or EOTS. And I'm fine with that.

I quite enjoy them

You want a master piece thats just fine. I do as well. But just because you don't get one doesn't mean someone has to shit all over what a band does put out. And for the record I'm not saying "you personally are" I'm just using your post as anchor point.

I'm convinced if they did another record just like untitled I still think we would be getting they same divided reactions. Its peoples opinions. Never anything objective about an opinion especially on songs or tastes...

Neighborhoods + DED singles also received a luke warm responses, ( that included Tom) and still people are divided in what they feel. I still look at those songs as poorly structured messes. That are all over even within the songs them selves. The split was too hard not enough meshing was done. (My opinion though). None of those songs changed my life, or lyrically blew my mind. Pretty sure they didnt for most people.

Im at the rational point, where I dont need another song like I miss you, it be nice, what I do NEED is some catchy guitar riffs that get stuck in my head more then the lyrics do. Thats what I loved about Toypaj, if thats where they want to be, then bring me some songs that riff hard as fuck... :)

I still really do enjoy Rabbit Hole. Curious to see how the rest of the album goes.. if its different or if its on a similar level..

And as a side note I've also heard the opinions on RadioHead latest album are divided. Almost everything any band put out will. My co-worker who is a die hard RadioHead fan says the album is forgettable..

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

The song is finally growing on me. I think I just needed to get used to the idea of this type of song being on the album since they haven't done this in so long. I love Bored to Death and I'm definitely starting to dig Rabbit Hole after a day of listening. I don't think it'll ever be one of my top 5, but I'm glad they put this song out. They're making sure they're not getting labeled with a certain type of style, and they're keeping the album diverse.

restingbird wrote:The song is finally growing on me. I think I just needed to get used to the idea of this type of song being on the album since they haven't done this in so long. I love Bored to Death and I'm definitely starting to dig Rabbit Hole after a day of listening. I don't think it'll ever be one of my top 5, but I'm glad they put this song out. They're making sure they're not getting labeled with a certain type of style, and they're keeping the album diverse.

And hey maybe Bored to Death is the Up All Night of the album and Rabbit Hole is the This Is Home of the album. Kay made a good point that maybe Mark targeted this song to release cause it's a "throwback" to generic pop punk days and such...and maybe he thought fans would eat it up? Like at least some hope the whole album isn't just that?

I don't know, 12 more songs unless Japanese bonus tracks are a thing?

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:And as a side note I've also heard the opinions on RadioHead latest album are divided. Almost everything any band put out will. My co-worker who is a die hard RadioHead fan says the album is forgettable..

You capitalizing the H in Radiohead made me cringe lol.

As for your co-worker saying A Moon Shaped Pool is forgettable... He's simply wrong. Not even a matter of opinion. Just wrong.

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Elevator wrote:The amount of people giving concessions to these mediocre songs is baffling. I agree that maybe this album will be fun as fuck but it feels somehow wrong to hear a bunch of 40 year olds write this kind of music.

The way I see it, this is the kind of music they've listened to their whole lives, and the kind of music that made them want to play music, and the kind of music they know best. I wouldn't want to hear them try to write a folk record. Besides, Descendents are in their fucking 50s and have a new record out next month as well! Bands like NOFX and Bouncing Souls are around the same age but are wrapping up new records. Where's all their criticism for making their same kind of music at their age?

c_ortiz93 wrote:
Elevator wrote:The amount of people giving concessions to these mediocre songs is baffling. I agree that maybe this album will be fun as fuck but it feels somehow wrong to hear a bunch of 40 year olds write this kind of music.

The way I see it, this is the kind of music they've listened to their whole lives, and the kind of music that made them want to play music, and the kind of music they know best. I wouldn't want to hear them try to write a folk record. Besides, Descendents are in their fucking 50s and have a new record out next month as well! Bands like NOFX and Bouncing Souls are around the same age but are wrapping up new records. Where's all their criticism for making their same kind of music at their age?

Its simply the matter that we consider ourselves "Hardcore" blink fans. Therefore, somehow some of us hold this band to a WAAYYY higher standard then even blink may even hold themselves to... And bash them at every turn... I find myself doing it far more often then I ever should....

I see it all the time on here. Even the old stuff. I don't get it lol.. We've "grown" as listeners... yet we still hold the old stuff in a special place. Some people feel new music from a band threatens the sanctity and specialness of their old stuff...

Strange mix....

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

I quite enjoy them

Oh, please let's not go in there.
Radiohead has bent a lot of conceptions on rock bands. These guys are deeper and deeper into experimentation since they decided to terminate their sound previously explored and exposed in their first three albums. They won't ever stop exploring and bending and subverting. Most of their music is great for Appreciation.
But no album of theirs was ever as enjoyable, appealing, and important, as their first three. This is a truth. A very unspoken truth. For some reason, there is no way anybody will go "dude, you've been playing Pulk Pull Revolving Doors for 15 years straight now! Can't we have some "Sulk" or "I Can't" please?". They are a very special topic and a very rare case of a band, and especially a rare case of how they shaped their fans' taste and the public acceptance of their material.

c_ortiz93 wrote:Descendents are in their fucking 50s and have a new record out next month as well!

Wait, what?! Really?! I did not know this! I'm hyped now!.
"I'm a little bit shy, a bit strange and a little bit manic..."

People need to stop expecting a song or film to change their lives, it won't. Only they can do that themselves. I also feel like nothing is as good as it use to be, whether that's music or movies. That's on me though, my emotions keep going on like a roller coaster probably because my Father passed away on Sunday. And when I first heard this song I thought it was so boring. Now it's growing on me like a fungus and it's cheering me up or, perhaps I'm just latching on to anything because of recent events. Anyway sorry for sharing very personal information.

Zechariah wrote:People need to stop expecting a song or film to change their lives, it won't. Only they can do that themselves. I also feel like nothing is as good as it use to be, whether that's music or movies. That's on me though, my emotions keep going on like a roller coaster probably because my Father passed away on Sunday. And when I first heard this song I thought it was so boring. Now it's growing on me like a fungus and it's cheering me up or, perhaps I'm just latching on to anything because of recent events. Anyway sorry for sharing very personal information.

I often feel this way too but that's cause nostalgia is a powerful thing. So I try my best to look at everything from an honest perspective and not turn into that old guy who says "back in my day, things were better". No one wants to be that guy.

https://coastingband.bandcamp.com

Zechariah wrote:People need to stop expecting a song or film to change their lives, it won't. Only they can do that themselves. I also feel like nothing is as good as it use to be, whether that's music or movies. That's on me though, my emotions keep going on like a roller coaster probably because my Father passed away on Sunday. And when I first heard this song I thought it was so boring. Now it's growing on me like a fungus and it's cheering me up or, perhaps I'm just latching on to anything because of recent events. Anyway sorry for sharing very personal information.

I know I'm a total stranger on the internet so it may seem like an empty gesture, but if you need to talk to anyone hit me up on PM. I'm really sorry, and I can't imagine what you're going through.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

KayTheMagnificent wrote:

I know I'm a total stranger on the internet so it may seem like an empty gesture, but if you need to talk to anyone hit me up on PM. I'm really sorry, and I can't imagine what you're going through.

Seconded. That's awful man. We've got your back here if you need it.

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

blinkfan4evr54 wrote:
KayTheMagnificent wrote:

Seconded. That's awful man. We've got your back here if you need it.

Thirded! That is so so indescribably tough and if you need another ear you can hit me up on PM too.
Really sorry for your loss!!

The most special kind of love of all is the love that exists between two naked women while I watch. - Mark Hoppus

Elevator killing it as usual.

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

I dont think its strange that alot of blink fans expected "a film" or "a masterpiece". It seems logical we would hear something different than rabbit hole after untitled and WYHSB.

Its just not the way you expect things to go. Instead of moving forword taking the next step they put a new perspective on a format that has worked for them in the past.

In a way it feels like theyre making a step backwards, but u know its blink and they havent put out anything in a while so anything they put out is progression.....

I am still very hopefull, but u know....

Out of sight, out of mind, I remove myself Out of mind, my whole mind state is out of line

ramirin wrote:
I quite enjoy them

Oh, please let's not go in there.
Radiohead has bent a lot of conceptions on rock bands. These guys are deeper and deeper into experimentation since they decided to terminate their sound previously explored and exposed in their first three albums. They won't ever stop exploring and bending and subverting. Most of their music is great for Appreciation.
But no album of theirs was ever as enjoyable, appealing, and important, as their first three. This is a truth. A very unspoken truth. For some reason, there is no way anybody will go "dude, you've been playing Pulk Pull Revolving Doors for 15 years straight now! Can't we have some "Sulk" or "I Can't" please?". They are a very special topic and a very rare case of a band, and especially a rare case of how they shaped their fans' taste and the public acceptance of their material.

You misspelled opinion a few times. ;)

I despise Pablo Honey and the Bends. Everything else they've done has been exceptional minus the utter disappointment of TKOL. But again, that's my preference. As for blink, it's gotten to a point where there are people on here that are so unshakable that, even if blink made exactly what they describe they want, will bitch anyway because they can't be satisfied with anything. Like a child having a fit in a supermarket over Cookie Crisp cereal, forcing their mom to buy when the kid has never actually had it before. Come time they actually try it, it's actually disgusting and refuse to keep eating it. Thus, freaking out over nothing.

Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Radiohead talk no one here cares about or belongs here:
ramirin wrote:
I quite enjoy them

since they decided to terminate their sound previously explored and exposed

haha exposed - you make it sound so devious
they got into bands like Aphex Twin and Autechre; they didn't just decide to change for the hell of it
I love Pulk so much more than Sulk or I Can't because it shows how a band can totally innovate themselves
I'd never say blink should be like Radiohead in sound though because that would be crazy silly
but they have taken from Radiohead's ethos with songs like Adam's Song and the untitled record that you can change your make-up and your fanbase will stick with you - I really hope there are some examples of that on California
and I was mostly just using them as an example of older bands making extremely good music - their most recent album has a lot of throwbacks to stuff they did before (In Rainbows, Kid A).
Also Kyle chill out on King of Limbs that record has been getting way too much hate from fans recently.

Even though they're different in tone, Bored to Death and Rabbit Holes are almost like clones to me
they're both looking back too closely at the TOYPAJ era for a sound and feel that blink already mined clean

I'm hoping some of you are right and they were just selected so the majority of blink fans could accept Matt and see blink hasn't changed in a big way with him in the band now.