Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: Rabbit Hole Discussion

brian. wrote:It's catchy, summery pop punk. Success in the abstract.

you're right - I just made some slight changes

haha I guess it's what someone else said -Mark is probably just stoked to not be writing doomy/gloomy songs
these songs are probably wicked fun to play live

Everything's personal preference of course. But it gets to the point where some people are like "man I hate the font they chose for the track listing on the back of the album." Like who cares about that shit? At some point you have to stop finding stuff to bitch at and just enjoy the music or don't.

When blink wrote untitled, they were all like 27-30 years old. They're all 40+ now. It's just so hard to live up to a legacy with rabid fans and a new member. I feel bad for the guys. No matter what they came out with, people were gonna bitch. They wrote the album they wrote, of which we've heard 2/16th's of. Pump the brakes.

Song made me happy. Love hearing "shut up" from Mark. Cool reference.

I almost wish blink never made untitled, so we didn't have this glorious album to compare everything to, because really, THAT material is the outlier. Blink was always about summer fun and goofing off. Then untitled comes out and everyone's all "well where's the poignant lyricism and dark subject matter?!" Untitled is the exception, not the rule. I think people forget that.

Don't get me wrong, if there is another song similar to this I'll be a little irritated. But if there's a good cohesive mix of material coming on this record, I'll be satisfied.

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Elevator wrote: can't help but no matter what I do I'm bound to be let down by this. I know many of you are simply going to pretend to like it more than you really do, if only to be contrarian to the haters, and that's your prerogative. It's snappy shit, but don't pretend it's some summer classic.

Also I think if I hear another song that features Oh's from Matt I'm going to cry out in anguish at how many times they go back to that fucking well.

Yeah freaking Rock Show and First Date keep going through my head
those 2 are summer anthems
really simple relatable lyrics that aren't anything earth shattering but aren't cringey either
and are both examples of what blink could pump out quickly

and yeah the oh ohs need to stop

brian. wrote:Everything's personal preference of course. But it gets to the point where some people are like "man I hate the font they chose for the track listing on the back of the album." Like who cares about that shit? At some point you have to stop finding stuff to bitch at and just enjoy the music or don't.

When blink wrote untitled, they were all like 27-30 years old. They're all 40+ now. It's just so hard to live up to a legacy with rabid fans and a new member. I feel bad for the guys. No matter what they came out with, people were gonna bitch. They wrote the album they wrote, of which we've heard 2/16th's of. Pump the brakes.

Song made me happy. Love hearing "shut up" from Mark. Cool reference.

I almost wish blink never made untitled, so we didn't have this glorious album to compare everything to, because really, THAT material is the outlier. Blink was always about summer fun and goofing off. Then untitled comes out and everyone's all "well where's the poignant lyricism and dark subject matter?!" Untitled is the exception, not the rule. I think people forget that.

I agree with everything you said (Y)

I honestly do feel bad for blink too. They're constantly getting shat on. There's nothing they can do to really please all of the fans.

I just take it for what it is. A song. It's a pretty decent song too. People shouldn't expect every song to be life changing because I can promise you, it won't be.

https://coastingband.bandcamp.com

So far I can at least say the song structure is better then neighborhoods. And the lyrics well not great, in my mind sound more relatable then a lot of what was on neighborhoods, especially how they were delivered The echoey Tom voice in up all night still gives me migraines... That said after like 40 listens I can say I enjoy it. I doubt its going to make me top 5 blink songs list.

I think asking if Feldmann was the right producer or not will come down to what you were hoping out of an album. I sadly am starting to think blinks main goal is to write songs that put them back into the mainstream. Looking over how neighborhoods went (and how the sales were apparently so disappointing) that is where they want to be. And if mainstream is where you want to be Feldmann may be the best guy for you to use.

Hes no Jerry Finn but at least hes got a rad personality.....

So I think its really going to come down to, how much are you ok with a mainstreamey summery blink album? If you can't even.. maybe you should just walk away now...

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

Think of a song like Story of A Lonely Guy. Those lyrics are absolutely fucking cringe worthy, and that's from "classic blink" era. So it's not like they've ever been Paul McCartney or John Lennon.

Sometimes the expectations from people, for me anyway, are a little higher than what they should be for...blink-182. A three piece pop punk band.

And I reserve the right for people to simply not like the material. That's fine. And even to say "hey you know what, Tom was my favorite member of the band, he's gone now so it's hard for me to be interested." Fine. But don't raise these ludicrously high expectations and then be angry when you're let down.

Honestly this song isn't even worthy of such a spirited debate. It's a catchy summer single from blink. Mark Hoppus on vocals. Crisp production. Poppy melodies. Just take stuff for what it is sometimes. Don't be so personally let down.

I hope rabbit hole doesn't make anyone's fucking top 20 blink songs let alone top 5. It's a typical blink song, but not close to anything worthy of being on a top (insert number) list.

Also, it's weird seeing the same people who will shit on anything tom releases trying to say they need to give the blink camp a break, that they can't make the same music over and over again, etc... Makes me shake my head at how close minded some of you guys are.

brian. wrote:I almost wish blink never made untitled, so we didn't have this glorious album to compare everything to, because really, THAT material is the outlier. Blink was always about summer fun and goofing off. Then untitled comes out and everyone's all "well where's the poignant lyricism and dark subject matter?!" Untitled is the exception, not the rule. I think people forget that.

Untitled was the talent meeting the potential. Blink's creative and expressionistic arc was trending up when Untitled was out. The divergence into the different styles after that was pretty extreme, which is why Neighborhoods was such a bizarre compromise that ultimately seemed to favor the more unyielding member - Tom.

If California is the album that Mark has always wanted out of blink for years now, maybe I should indeed wonder if he's really even capable of doing anything better than +44, because I'm unimpressed. I'm obviously prematurely judging the record, which is stupid, but clearly we won't be able to even field a debate about Untitled vs. California because it's basically two albums from two totally different bands.

brian. wrote:Honestly this song isn't even worthy of such a spirited debate. It's a catchy summer single from blink. Mark Hoppus on vocals. Crisp production. Poppy melodies. Just take stuff for what it is sometimes. Don't be so personally let down.

It's only fleeting. In a few months we'll be very clearly able to state a complete opinion on the album and see what people think as months pass beyond that time. It's kind of the same deal as before when I lost my shit during the BTD debut, it's just not my band anymore and it bums me out quite a bit. Maybe with more weeks and months to let things season, I'll be more clearly able to categorize California, but until then I'm definitely going to die the death of 1000 cuts. Just how I'm wired.

twitter

Songs Worth Mentioning out of the two camps in my opinion...

Bored To Death <<<<<<< Voyager <<<<<<< Overload <<<<<<< Rabbit Hole (Since blink really only has two... other songs on that EP i cant listen too anymore)

P.S if you pre-ordered off blink 182 website you will get an email soon with the download for rabbit hole... if you even want it lol..
Last edited by OBGYN_KENOBI on Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

Elevator wrote:It's basically two albums from two totally different bands.

That's what I've been saying since the beginning. One of those "bands" has never released anything before this so there's no point in having expectations/assumptions about the album at all.

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Waggy wrote:Guys can we just be happy for the fact that they didn't go full blown Fall Out Boy and release a super shit mainstream pop album?

I think this is what people are somewhat afraid of. There's nothing wrong with having some songs like Rabbit Hole, it's a cool song, but at the same time a whole record of 12 Rabbit Hole-like songs would be brutal. BTD already breaks that mold though so I think we're ok. It's mostly fear of the unknown at this point. RH is underwhelming for me, but I personally love BTD and can't wait to see what else we get from this album.

I was really excited as to what Mark & Travis could cook up but it's not at all what they said it would be. Bored to Death was okay but Rabbit hole is boring. Who are they targeting this album for? 5SOS or ATL fans? Still looking forward to the album and the tour but man no Tom and their producer has really changed their sound.. The oh ohs have to stop.