Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: Bored to Death Discussion

brian. wrote:
Marmalade Skies wrote:It's a really good song. It's the nostalgic love letter all fans wanted. It feels like a 2002 Blink song. But it's not very progressive. I like new sounds that push boundaries. I hope California has some twists and surprises.

I think "new sounds that push boundaries" is a tall order for blink right now. I think when they went in the studio they probably wanted to make a very real, "genuine blink-182 album" with a sound that was familiar. Having such a passionate fan base while also trying to do justice to a 20+ year musical career is really tough, especially with a new member. I think they chose a safe single and hopefully there will be some different things sprinkled through the rest of the album

I saw a quote from Mark saying that the label chose that song as the lead single. I love the song but it really is a safe song for them to have picked, understandably. I feel like some of the other songs on the album are really going to be out there and blow us away. Especially that balled-type song we've heard about. I also expect at least one electronic type song, also a really fast punk song. I think it's going to be pretty diverse.

I think thats because of the TDW effect. Tom has so much going on in his songs besides his voice that it makes it generally 'interesting' to listen to. Bored to Death kinda sounds like All Time Low could have made it, because it's a simple mash of guitars and drums. The only difference really is Bored to Death has some synthy stuff going on, but its too subtle to make the song interesting on that alone. Tom has a style that I've yet to hear anyone reproduce exactly the same, while pop-punk is super samey across the bored. Hopefully that's just Bored to Death though and not the rest of the album. I like the song, but nothing about it really speaks out. I'm kind of already bored of it after just this week and a half, after about 20 plays.

I'm still in love with it. I am hella excited. I have listened to the song a lot over the past week and I still get chills from that bridge.

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)

I look at it like this.

Ask yourself the following question:

"Do I like Up All Night more than Bored to Death?"

If the answer is "yes," then you should be scared and pessimistic.

If the answer is "no," then everything is going to be okay.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

scoobs wrote:Wait so now we've reached the point where everyone hates the song now? I can't wait until the next album comes out so we can get back to liking this song again as a group.

This is what happens with every blink-182 release that will ever come out again. With Tom or without. At least for the many people of this fourm. First day they will like the song. Then 2 weeks later hate it. Then the album will come out and they will end up liking it for a day or so. Then hate the thing a week later. Happened with Neighborhoods, DED and will happen with California as well. There are a lot of people here that have nostalgic feelings of this band that far exceed how "good" or "complex" blink songs have ever been. So when listening to the new songs objectively and you see how simple they are. They end up being like well that isn't special. So in that regard for those people the album will never be 'good' or live up to their expectations. Thats fine. What drives my curiosity is how they would react today if a songs "I Miss You" or "Stay Together For The Kids". Where released for the first time today. Would they still love them as much ? Would they be as good without the feelings of Nostalgia distorting their view? I' d say probably not.

And thats how I myself look at this band. I recognize blink-182 has always been a simple band with a simple song structure. No amount of nostalgia level will change that. I personally don't need change or depth to enjoy a song. I can take a song for how it is. And personally I still love "Bored to Death".

Honestly though this isn't an exclusive thing to blink fans. Pretty much all die hard fans of bands that have been around 10 years plus have this problem. You make a safe cd people complain its too safe. You make an experimental cd people hate that you changed the sound so much. You can never make everyone happy. Simply get a vision you like. Stick to it and do your best to bring your vision to life.

So I'd take any opinions that differ from yours around here with a grain of salt. This is all par for course in 182online land.... Or any band fan site really....

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:
scoobs wrote:Wait so now we've reached the point where everyone hates the song now? I can't wait until the next album comes out so we can get back to liking this song again as a group.

This is what happens with every blink-182 release that will ever come out again. With Tom or without. At least for the many people of this fourm. First day they will like the song. Then 2 weeks later hate it. Then the album will come out and they will end up liking it for a day or so. Then hate the thing a week later. Happened with Neighborhoods, DED and will happen with California as well. There are a lot of people here that have nostalgic feelings of this band that far exceed how "good" or "complex" blink songs have ever been. So when listening to the new songs objectively and you see how simple they are. They end up being like well that isn't special. So in that regard for those people the album will never be 'good' or live up to their expectations. Thats fine. What drives my curiosity is how they would react today if a songs "I Miss You" or "Stay Together For The Kids". Where released for the first time today. Would they still love them as much ? Would they be as good without the feelings of Nostalgia distorting their view? I' d say probably not.

And thats how I myself look at this band. I recognize blink-182 has always been a simple band with a simple song structure. No amount of nostalgia level will change that. I personally don't need change or depth to enjoy a song. I can take a song for how it is. And personally I still love "Bored to Death".

Honestly though this isn't an exclusive thing to blink fans. Pretty much all die hard fans of bands that have been around 10 years plus have this problem. You make a safe cd people complain its too safe. You make an experimental cd people hate that you changed the sound so much. You can never make everyone happy. Simply get a vision you like. Stick to it and do your best to bring your vision to life.

So I'd take any opinions that differ from yours around here with a grain of salt. This is all par for course in 182online land.... Or any band fan site really....

This is true. This song feels a little different though. It's pretty much received nothing but praise save for a few extremely pessimistic people who are unhealthily obsessed with Tom., even after all this time. I've listened to the song on repeat in my car ever since it dropped and still am not tired of it. I think this album is really going to be something unique to blink that they've needed for a while, and even the biggest Tom bots can't stop that.

I wouldn't even say a "Tom-bot" thing. I'm sure there are a few people who won't like it no matter what just because Tom isn't involved. But all I can do there is shrug. I'm talking about the people have using their own imagination, their own hype and nostalgia to build up expectations that a band like blink could never ever live up to.

Not sure Im sad that blink couldn't I've liked blink for its simplicity. To me thats partially what makes blink, well blink. To me if you stripped AVA down to super simple, something would feel odd. I like each band doing their thing.

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

restingbird wrote:This is true. This song feels a little different though. It's pretty much received nothing but praise save for a few extremely pessimistic people who are unhealthily obsessed with Tom., even after all this time. I've listened to the song on repeat in my car ever since it dropped and still am not tired of it. I think this album is really going to be something unique to blink that they've needed for a while, and even the biggest Tom bots can't stop that.

Ugh. What a terribly stupid opinion.

Kay isn't a big fan of this song. KAY. FUCKING KAY.

Yet only people who "irrationally" like Tom are the ones who don't adore Bored To Death, right?

Fuckin' wrong, yo.

It's a thing that blink fans from all walks of life are feeling conflict over. And that's just what I found in maybe 20 minutes of poking around reddit, a few articles reviewing the song, and a message board or two outside of this one. There are quite a few people who trend, whether it be slight or drastically, negatively in regards to this song. Get it out of your head that it's maybe 2-4 people on 182online alone that are waving the banner.

twitter

I think every person in this thread is over-analyzing the song to the point that it's unhealthy. I consider myself a HUGE blink fan, and at some point you just have to realize that NOTHING will be perfect if you set your standards too high.

Bored To Death is the perfect single for a band who's trying to be "themselves" again. It's safe, it's different, all the while being the same catchy blink that were used to.

That's my opinion.

Also, if you like Up All Night more than Bored To Death... Jesus Christ, I'm sorry...

https://coastingband.bandcamp.com

In regards to Mark's comment about how "Bored to Death" really encapsulates the sound of the album, I didn't see it as Mark saying that style-wise, the whole album is going to sound like Bored to Death. I took it as, the sound of the album is going to be like Bored to Death, concept-wise. In all of blink's interviews, the band has talked about how diverse the album is (Enema of the State, Dude Ranch, new and old) and how the name of the album California makes sense because California is both a place of hope and a place of not so happy stuff. THAT is exactly how Bored to Death sounds. This song has both a minor/major tone where it switches from a dark, gloomy tune to a really bright, happy song. The whole album sounds like Bored to Death because Bored to Death has different parts that sound different. That's how I took it. You can't say ONE song off the album is going to sound like THE ENTIRE album if THE ENTIRE album sounds different. It makes no sense ...
Last edited by Broccoli_Apocalypse on Mon May 09, 2016 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Waggy wrote:Also, if you like Up All Night more than Bored To Death... Jesus Christ, I'm sorry...

Can we re-title this, "Bored To Death/Fuck "Up All Night" Discussion?

Up All Night is just an okay song, but the night it dropped? To me it was a moment I'll never forget. You can't appreciate what that moment was like for me and others as fans, apparently, and for that I feel sorry for you.

twitter