Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: Bored to Death Discussion

#283
Well, listened to it while walking around outside during lunch.

Loving the fuck out of this song more and more. Again, thanks, Waggy, for comparing the verses to Love Is Dangerous. Definitely makes my listening experience that much better because my head is fucked up like that. And I can see the chorus to Bored to Death being intense as hell during concerts, especially the final chorus. Definitely a summer anthem right there.

I don't know if I missed the comments, but I'm surprised that no one has commented on the chugging guitars in the outro. Sounds so similar to the chugging in All The Small Things during the bridge. Same sound. Love the FUCK out of that.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Re: Bored to Death Discussion

#284
Song is pretty good. I smiled upon hearing it the first time. It's been awhile since we hear new music that actually sounds like Blink 182. Those who say it sounds like +44, well yeah... still blink guys doing the music, and it isn't a bad thing it sounds like +44 (rather than alien-space music from AVA, which I ain't saying it sucks. Just different style).

And I'm sure every Blink fan will end up enjoying this album big time. Mark my words.
Image

Re: Bored to Death Discussion

#285
Now that I've had a day to really let it sink in:

Pros:
There are cool little touches in the song that make it feel like somebody hit "refresh" on blink.

I.E. Mark and Matt switching spots singing between the first verse/chorus and the second verse/chorus.
The power chords in the chorus have quick little rests that are in sync with the bass drum.
And a fucking great bridge.
I was blasting the song on repeat this morning as I was getting ready for the day, and I found myself singing along beginning to end. This song is fun to sing!

Cons:
Like everybody else has said, you can't tell apart Mark/Matt at first listen.

A bit cliché on the structure (I.E. that vocal only chorus after the bridge, with a quick drum fill to kick in the full band in the next bar was kinda cheesy). But at least it HAS structure. To compare it to a Neighborhoods track, Kaleidoscope sounds like 3 different songs pasted together. You get what I'm trying to say?
Image

Re: Bored to Death Discussion

#288
chiefblink117 wrote:Mark my words.

:cheeky:
Image

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Re: Bored to Death Discussion

#290
c_ortiz93 wrote:
Elevator wrote:But dude, Kaleidoscope is an amazing song and arguably the best one on that album.

Serious?

I actually can't stand that song at all.

It was one of those aggravating songs where, upon first listen, I thought that we would actually have a Mark-only tune, but then got bombarded with that fucking schizophrenic chorus. Damn that chorus makes me want to shoot chickens in the face.

And to create contrast between their voices, Mark is singing so low during the verses that it doesn't generate any feeling or emotion. He just drones on.

What a car crash of a song.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Re: Bored to Death Discussion

#295
And she said... wrote:After 3ish hours of waiting on the website & PayPal while trying to order an album bundle the site just crashed.

I feel like I'm in 2001.


While I love the accessibility to it, I worry That thanks to this pre-order a good chuck of good seats will still disappear. I got my bundle as soon as I heard they were live.
So I should get my code later today. But still I feel everyone else is doing this too :/

At least the record will hopefully sell well :)

I must say Im impressed with how little the single makes me think Alkaline Trio. And I listed to a lot of AK3. So kudos to the band for that...
Image

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

Re: Bored to Death Discussion

#296
KayTheMagnificent wrote:
c_ortiz93 wrote:
Elevator wrote:But dude, Kaleidoscope is an amazing song and arguably the best one on that album.

Serious?


It is, without a doubt, the best song on Neighborhoods. Hands fuckin' down.


Can't get over Tom's pronunciation of "help here" as "ill peer" in that song. I really like most of it but can't help but think about how much it could've been better. That's another song where I think the production is lacking and no one apparently told Tom to say "help here" correctly.
Image

Re: Bored to Death Discussion

#297
Nevermind wrote:
KayTheMagnificent wrote:
c_ortiz93 wrote:
Elevator wrote:But dude, Kaleidoscope is an amazing song and arguably the best one on that album.

Serious?


It is, without a doubt, the best song on Neighborhoods. Hands fuckin' down.


Can't get over Tom's pronunciation of "help here" as "ill peer" in that song. I really like most of it but can't help but think about how much it could've been better. That's another song where I think the production is lacking and no one apparently told Tom to say "help here" correctly.

It always sounds like when he says "valley" he says "vaWee." I cringe every time I hear it. It's just so terrible.

It's like ... oh god .... turn this god forsaken song off.

My favorite off that album is still M.H. In fact, I always felt the album should've closed with it. Even If She Falls has a great throwback feel (purer than This Is Home), but it doesn't have that great ending that M.H. has.

I am loving Bored to Death more and more. I keep on trying to listen to other blink songs, but then I keep on coming to this one. I'm going to hate it like fuck when the album comes out haha
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Re: Bored to Death Discussion

#298
KayTheMagnificent wrote:I just accepted quite a while ago that it wouldn't sound like that, I guess. I had no expectations of Toms style on it. it oddly sounds more Tommish than I was expecting (the riff, the ohs, etc). I assumed going in that it would sound like Mark's side of blink, and it does. I do think the magic of it is the 3 of them together but we can't have that. It sounds blink-like enough for me to be comfortable with it being blink-182, and I'm happy that Travis and Mark are happy continuing as blink because its what they want, and to some extent I'm happy that Tom is allegedly happy making space movies or whatever the hell he's doing. Blink was always about more than their music and what we know does inform how we hear it. Ultimately Brian is right, they're not the Beatles, they're a pop punk band that barely managed to break out of the same 4 power chord formula. They've defied all kinds of musical logic getting as far as they did, accomplishing what they did, and writing such good songs with their severely lacking ability (Travis obviously not included in that last part).
All we can expect from them is some solid pop punkish music, and that's what this is. I'm good with accepting that, but I had no idea what to expect from the get go with this. I couldn't be disappointed... so if you were expecting something else or more, than I appreciate where you're coming from.


I agree with all of this. I had no "expectations" for this album. My only expectation was kinda that I thought Matt was an awesome choice and I knew they'd make a cool record that sounds like a cool combination of blink-182 and possibly some stuff on the darker side with Matt's Alkaline Trio writing style. So far I am not disappointed.

I will reiterate again, I haven't actively listened to blink in a long while. It's more of a nostalgia trip for me. And having said that, I thought this song was better than pretty much everything on Neighnorhoods. I already like this record more and I've not even heard it. They were so missing that nice glossy production. That's back with Feldmann, and I'm ecstatic. THIS album feels like the true return of blink-182. Neighborhoods and DED sound like garbage and were totally brought down by Tom. Mark and Travis are finally free to have fun and make music again! And Matt Skiba was a great choice for that.
Image

Re: Bored to Death Discussion

#299
brian. wrote:
KayTheMagnificent wrote:I just accepted quite a while ago that it wouldn't sound like that, I guess. I had no expectations of Toms style on it. it oddly sounds more Tommish than I was expecting (the riff, the ohs, etc). I assumed going in that it would sound like Mark's side of blink, and it does. I do think the magic of it is the 3 of them together but we can't have that. It sounds blink-like enough for me to be comfortable with it being blink-182, and I'm happy that Travis and Mark are happy continuing as blink because its what they want, and to some extent I'm happy that Tom is allegedly happy making space movies or whatever the hell he's doing. Blink was always about more than their music and what we know does inform how we hear it. Ultimately Brian is right, they're not the Beatles, they're a pop punk band that barely managed to break out of the same 4 power chord formula. They've defied all kinds of musical logic getting as far as they did, accomplishing what they did, and writing such good songs with their severely lacking ability (Travis obviously not included in that last part).
All we can expect from them is some solid pop punkish music, and that's what this is. I'm good with accepting that, but I had no idea what to expect from the get go with this. I couldn't be disappointed... so if you were expecting something else or more, than I appreciate where you're coming from.


I agree with all of this. I had no "expectations" for this album. My only expectation was kinda that I thought Matt was an awesome choice and I knew they'd make a cool record that sounds like a cool combination of blink-182 and possibly some stuff on the darker side with Matt's Alkaline Trio writing style. So far I am not disappointed.

I will reiterate again, I haven't actively listened to blink in a long while. It's more of a nostalgia trip for me. And having said that, I thought this song was better than pretty much everything on Neighnorhoods. I already like this record more and I've not even heard it. They were so missing that nice glossy production. That's back with Feldmann, and I'm ecstatic. THIS album feels like the true return of blink-182. Neighborhoods and DED sound like garbage and were totally brought down by Tom. Mark and Travis are finally free to have fun and make music again! And Matt Skiba was a great choice for that.

I completely agree with all of this.

It's a real shame, too, because Boxing Day was really awesome, and I loved the direction they went with the song. But unfortunately, that was only one song. I'm actually listening to DED right now, and it's just so ... so .... bad. Neighborhoods is also a real tragedy when you listen to it. There are so many songs that have so much potential but fail in the end, due to the lack of production and the obvious disparity between all of the members, which is a real, real shame.

But this song, like you said, has wonderful production. The guitar in the outro gives me chills because it has the same tone and sound as the chugging guitar in the bridge of All The Small Things. (I'm taking a break from listening to Bored to Death because I don't want to get too sick of it yet.)

I'm curious, though. You keep on saying that you haven't been listening to blink etc. etc. I need to ask. What have you been listening to?
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Re: Bored to Death Discussion

#300
For me there were a lot of great songs on Neighborhoods and DED, if you leave out Toms need to add his Whiney AVA choruses. Those are what ruin those songs for me. When I Was Young was one of the few songs on the EP he didn't do that. And I still do like that song. Same for Boxing Day. Best song on that EP and arguably the best song blink had released in 6 years. As "blink-182". Other projects not included.

If Tom laid off the Whiney Chorus those songs would still work for me. But Toms "new" voice is not capable of high straining notes... Sorry...

I can't wait to hear more of the new album on that note. Seeing if Matt tries hitting high notes. Which I know he can... compared to Tom anyway... maybe we'll even get a gravelly yell.

Im with Broccoli, Bored To Death gets better and better the more I listen to it. Especially after listening to songs of DED and Neighborhoods. Kay is right. This is going to be a new age pop-punk album. Hopefully with some original hooks. But its going to be pop-punk, alternative. Not Dream Theater putting out their most instrumentally complex album yet... Blink has never been that way. And I can't help but to think at times people get WAYY to critical for the sake of being critical....

Either enjoy the song or don't listen :)
Image

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron