Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: Bored to Death Discussion

And she said... wrote:
Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:OOOOOOOH! I think it found it. While it's like an octave lower, It's the melody in Weatherman during the verse when he holds the note out. "But I can't help but wonder noooooooooooooow." I think the chords are the same too?

IT IS!!!

I think I found it.

It's the same chord progression.

So it's not necessarily the melody, it's just the same chord progression. Add that to the fact that it's minor and that's probably what did it.

plop found it last night and posted the two songs layered on top of each other.

Muahahahahaaha! I'm not going crazy!!

I don't feel bad now. I knew there was a connection somewhere. The little riff at the beginning is different, but once the singing starts, it's pretty obvious.

And HEY! I came up with it myself. So PFFFFTTTTT! :-*
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

frisky wrote:Plop's mashup

http://picosong.com/KgqZ/

No, it's not the chorus that did it. It's the verses. Completely.

The verses in Bored to Death and the verses in Weatherman are what did me in. You can't really hear the similarities in the chorus since the chorus in Bored to Death is so much more uplifting.

It's an easier link with the verses since both verses are dark.

In other words, the link connection in the verses are very similar and easy to detect.

The chorus mash up is intense but not obvious when you listen to them separately.
Last edited by Broccoli_Apocalypse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Hot Water Music

Waggy wrote:I think people hear the verses and think of +44 but really the verses are way closer to Love Is Dangerous than anything.

I haven't listened to Love Is Dangerous in so long (and I think I've only listened to it completely twice), so that comparison would be impossible for me.

I'll give it a try right now.

Shit. I'm going to get fired. Getting no work done at all lol

EDIT: OH SHIT!!!! You're right. That's intense. Whoa. I agree with you there. I prefer that comparison, though, since it's blink even though I don't like the song and Tom ruins it (WHICH HE CAN'T DO ANYMORE MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA).
-Hot Water Music

Elevator wrote:
brian. wrote:TL;DR: don't live in the past. 2001 is long gone and everyone is 40+ in the band and this is what it is. Pretty remarkable they're still pumping jams out.

This sounds similar to what I was telling people when reactions to Neighborhoods & DED weren't the best.

Only difference was I really liked both of those.

I don't see my dislike of this tune as having anything to do with living in the past so much as how glaring it was that Tom was blink for me. It's just me. I know that people around here fucking hate Tom and are so glad he's gone, etc, but blink just isn't the same, TO ME, without him. It has nothing to do with politics or what kind of people they are or HE is, or this or that or whatever. It's Tom's voice, his guitar, and his influence on blink that, now absent, leaves a void in me as a fan.

Which is an absolutely normal reaction man. Totally. I wish Tom was involved too. I miss him as he once was for sure.

I just accepted quite a while ago that it wouldn't sound like that, I guess. I had no expectations of Toms style on it. it oddly sounds more Tommish than I was expecting (the riff, the ohs, etc). I assumed going in that it would sound like Mark's side of blink, and it does. I do think the magic of it is the 3 of them together but we can't have that. It sounds blink-like enough for me to be comfortable with it being blink-182, and I'm happy that Travis and Mark are happy continuing as blink because its what they want, and to some extent I'm happy that Tom is allegedly happy making space movies or whatever the hell he's doing. Blink was always about more than their music and what we know does inform how we hear it. Ultimately Brian is right, they're not the Beatles, they're a pop punk band that barely managed to break out of the same 4 power chord formula. They've defied all kinds of musical logic getting as far as they did, accomplishing what they did, and writing such good songs with their severely lacking ability (Travis obviously not included in that last part).
All we can expect from them is some solid pop punkish music, and that's what this is. I'm good with accepting that, but I had no idea what to expect from the get go with this. I couldn't be disappointed... so if you were expecting something else or more, than I appreciate where you're coming from.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

At times I do wish Tom was part of it too, but I wish it was 2003 Tom that was part of it, not present day batshit crazy ego maniac Tom.

Sometimes in life you have to just let things go. And as soon as Tom left blink through an email A SECOND TIME, I decided I don't give a fuck about the guy.

Welcome Matt Skiba, and welcome a bright and new future for blink-182.
Last edited by Waggy on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

https://coastingband.bandcamp.com

I think that the "amazing!!" song that everyone could ever expect (one that I believe the people who are bummed by this song were probably expecting or hoping for) is a song that goes beyond pop-punk, more specifically, a song that managed to achieve what Feeling This achieved. That song defied the genre on so many levels and did so many intense things all under 4 minutes. I really think that, going forward, every song will forever be compared to that, at least in my mind. To me, when going into this song, I was hoping beyond hopes for a Feeling This type of song. One that does all of the things I just mentioned. Feeling This just brings together so many dynamic parts that really bombard your senses when they come together, keeping you guessing right from the start, and still giving you something wholly different at the very end. It really is a ride of a song from beginning to end.

This, however, is really a perfect follow up to After Midnight. The chorus has that same powerful, simple drive, that big (generic-y radio) feel, but takes it up a notch by adding so many more variables into the mix, including that very intense and amazing bridge and the "oohs."
-Hot Water Music

People in general like to be super critical. Especially when it comes to blink... especially here. Makes them feel like their not super blink freaks. And love everything they have.

While I feel some people just won't let themselves like it, because no TOM is involved. Which is fine for them I guess. But I think its a shame because they are holding back liking new music.

So I've personally put that in my head obviously this isnt 2001. And I can't fairly compare the feeling of nostalgia.

Its not perfect. Obviously, but I think its great.. Is it better then anything on Untitled? No . But I think its a worthy addition to the blink catalog.

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

Yah, I don't think I am going to listen to anything else that is going to appear on this album until the album dropps.

Before Neighborhoods, I only listened to Up All Night, and then just ignored anything until the album dropped and I had it in my hands.

Going back to Bored To Death, I'm REALLY glad that Waggy made that comparison that the verses sound like Love Is Dangerous. It makes me like the verse SO MUCH MORE rather than it being "yet another Mark Hoppus Plus-44 song." I can really appreciate the song more as a blink song and get all of that crappy comparisons out of my head. I don't know, but even though I don't really like Neighborhoods and even though I don't like the song Love Is Dangerous, the fact that these verses are similar to a blink song makes it feel so much better to me. Don't know why. Don't care. I want to like it haha

So the only real problem of the song, to me, is the chorus, but at the same time, it's one of those choruses that sound like those damn radio singles that get stuck in your head and you end singing over and over and over. ;)

I am REALLY digging this song and I'm really excited for the album.

I'm excited there's a possible theme. I'm excited that there are two songs that are under one minute. I'm excited that there are songs under 2 minutes. I'm excited there are more than 12 songs. I'm excited for the booklet. I'm excited in general. I think this will be good folks.

The bridge and outro really make this feel like blink. That synth and the chugging guitars really do it for me.
-Hot Water Music

i also thought BTD was similar to weatherman in the verses, but it was hard to match them up without any major adjustments, however the chorus just layed right over weathermean and i thought it actually sounded kinda cool, so thats why i posted it. but yeah the verses are for sure similar and what made me think about it. ots easy to sing weatherman yourself over BTD.