Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: Bored to Death Discussion

Tyler wrote:Song is quality. Didn't want some gloomy angry punk song and was pretty worried about getting that, but this is bad ass

Ditto. Their last two releases have been riddled with kind of depressing and gloomy songs, this is a real breath of fresh air to me.

With all the "this doesn't feel like blink-182" feelings here. I totally get it. I couldn't help but think about how it would feel if Tom would come in and sing the second verse, a thought i had to leave immediately, it's not a path i want to go. But It does feel different now.

However, i'm not going to say that it isn't blink-182. It is, but in 2016. They clearly worked hard on this album and all the preparations for it. As far as the song goes, i dig it, but the chorus is a little bit to generic and poppy to me. I do think this single will be easier to get into for casual fans than UAN, so if that's what they wanted they succeeded. But i can tell from the overall sound that i will enjoy the album, especielly since i presume there will be more fast and experimental songs. And, if this new change in the line-up meant that we could finally hear Mark scream with feeling again, i'm all for it. And Matt sounds stoned in all his interviews.

My two cents.

EDIT: I can't get enough of that Am, C, F. The verses are so cool. Especially when Matt strains his voice a bit. And the "i come over and over" part, that is EXACTLY how to be funny in lyrics when you are past 40. Not singing about golden showers. Ugh.

Let's hear it for not wiping!

after listening to it a lot this morning, the initial excitement has worn off and my super critical hat has come out. So I'm going to post about that, and I expect and welcome anger about it, because its new blink so seriously why should I be so cynical...anyhoo -

PROS -

- I love that synth is being used correctly again. It's enhancing the instrumentation, adding texture in the right places. it's not overpowering and drowning things out, which was my biggest gripe with Neighbourhoods.

- I love Mark's voice on this track, it's ridiculously solid and the best he's sounded in years.

- I love that the 'riff' is a total rip off of Adams Song / ST4TKs and I think thats what that DJ was referring to. it's a little bit like those two riffs had a baby. It's so simplistic but classically blink and I feel it works really well - It definitely feels like a song that would fit in-between TOYPAJ and Untitled.

- I think that a lot of the similarities in this track to old blink are incredibly intentional. The Feeling This drum intro, the All The Small Things synth bridge, the teenagery lyrics that are suspiciously familiar (mentioning seventeen, never coming home, and she said etc) I think this song may have intentionally been written to be a "This is what blink has been, but also what it is now" kind of song. If I'm wrong, and these similarities are just from lack of creativity then I'm super worried about the rest of the record but if I'm right then its such a solid choice for the first single from that point alone.

- Travis's drumming is always on point anyway but damn, son. He killed it on this song.

- That pre-chorus is shivers inducing.

- Not to bag on Tom, but I'm so freakin' glad theres no "Lets just ring the chord out over the chorus and do nothing else" touches here.

CONS -

- The Ohs get worse every time I listen to them. I really dislike them. I can understand the purpose of them being there, although I think maybe if they'd done a guitar riff around the same notes it would have been better. They're also featured too much - the latter half of the song just sort've gets weighed down by it.

- The lyrics aren't good. I mean, I can let that pass if it is because of some "ties to the past" thing I mentioned before (which is incidentally what they did with After Midnight right?) but if thats not intentional then the lyrics aren't great. They're not awful, but I expect better from Mark.

- It's really weird to hear Matt sing about girls and not coming home and stuff. thats not really a con its just kind of odd.

- The lack of disparity in their vocals does worry me for the rest of the record and it bothers me on this song a bit. each listen has made the differences clearer but not by much - and I've said this before, I think it's the production more than their vocals being similar. so who knows.

- I think this won't do very well, as singles go, and if they have more summery upbeat songs on the rest of the album then this being their single choice is probably a big mistake.

- Mark's bass is a bit too buried, at least in the copies I've heard. most of what I can make out is just rootnote work, except for the end of the pre-chorus and a bit at the end. Makes me a little sad as I love his bass work.

- I find the 'over and over and over' thing a little annoying.

Anyway, thats me being as negative and critical as I can be. I still really like it.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

plopbellie wrote:their website. was looking around at the image files (on chrome pressing f12 brings up the console, go to the resources tab, then frame, subfolder, and then images). Found it and was impressed that it was a vector, meaning it can be resized indefinitely and not lose quality, which is awesome. i guess travis also tweeted it or something, but his was low res. this one is huuuuuuuuuge haha

Haha nice
Your obsessive investigative behavior reminds me of myself a couple years ago. Digging trough the internet to find and check new stuff.

Out of sight, out of mind, I remove myself Out of mind, my whole mind state is out of line

I really didn't like UAN when it came out . I tried too. But it sounded so forced so out of place. Nothing in my mind felt cohesive. It all felt like shit duck taped together .. What made things worse was the bands insistance that this was the bands new sound. Thankfully the only thing that persisted the whole album was lazy design.

I've listened to BTD about 80 times now. I can say its generic in comparison to some of blinks contemporary songs. But it feels like a blink song. A good genuine blink song. Yeah when the ohs play I die a little on the inside. But the intro is great. Travis drumming is on point. Weather we like it or not . They blended Matts and Marks voice. I'm my opinion in the beginning its best. Hearing Matt sound very different from Mark may upset some. And maybe jarring. Is the song perfect ? Hellz Nah. But is it a great start to an Album. I'd say hellz yeah. !

Props Go To Elevator: King Of Sigs

Whoa ... I didn't hear Matt's part until I listened to the song with headphones. I was reading through the forum and I was like "wait what? Matt sings??" Eek.

Basically, everyone has already touched on what I've been thinking.

The opening "Feeling This" intro really fooled me upon first listen, and when it changed up, I was like, oh shit.

After listening to it in the car all the way to work, my only qualms with the song are that the verses are Plus-44-ish to me (I'm trying to not think that way, but oh well, it's happening) and the chorus is, as some have said, bland. Which is unfortunate. Mark sounds great, though. And when Mark sings "I'm fading fast" during the chorus, the background harmony is nice and adds a little bit of flair to it all. Many people don't like the "Life is too short to last long" line, but I dig it, and it reminds me of Mark's witty lyrics from Plus-44.

I also feel, as many have said, that the pre-chorus and bridge are fucking fantastic. Those are the defining parts of the song for sure. The pre-chorus would have been even better if the harmony in the pre-chorus were Mark and Matt rather than Mark's layered vocals, but, hey, it sounds good and it really creates a great build up to the chorus. Out of the two, though, the bridge is definitely the best. By far. Even though I think that the song creates an interesting dichotomy between minor (the verses) and major (the rest of the song) -- which works and makes the sound stand out for going back and forth so seamlessly -- I feel that the verses should've followed the bridge's example, and been more upbeat. Again, it's strange, because I REALLY like how the song switches from a depressing feel to a more upbeat sound. I think that really makes it special. But at the same time, the song probably would've been a lot better if the verses were quick. But that's just me. Hmmm ....

Speaking of the bridge, the only part of the song that feels like they could've done better production-wise is when the strings come in, especially after Travis' drumming follows. It feels almost too chaotic when the drums enter the fray. The strings felt like they came out of nowhere and then were almost immediately flooded and lost by the drumming. It's very interesting, though, how they did that. The overwhelming drumming. If the lyrics matched this feeling of being overwhelmed then I would've been really into it. Every time I listen to the song I keep on thinking that there should've been a longer span where the strings play over Mark's voice and then, after a bit, the drumming smashes everything up. It feels too abrupt.

At first, the "Oh Oh Ohs" bothered me. And I almost had to laugh because I wondered how Tom would sing them because it sounds like a Tom kind of thing when I first listened to the song (would they be yodels?). But I think they work REALLY well at the end. I like it when there are many parts of a song, besides a verse, chorus and bridge, and it's even better when a song doesn't end with the chorus. I hate that, and this is a nice change.

So, overall, all that REALLY bothers me is that the verses are very plus-44-ish and that the chorus is generic and kinda boring (lol). But, ironically, it's the part of the song that makes me feel like this is blink ... someone said it before and I agree ... this is kind of like how After Midnight should've sounded. They have a similar feel, chorus wise.

I think that picking this as a lead single is VERY, very risky just because the verses are so "down-y." Maybe it's a promotional single :P

In any case, I like it. And I'm excited to hear more.

I just hope that we can differentiate Matt's vocals from Mark's. THAT is kinda iffy.

But it's a good song. Not bad, not great. Good.

LOVE the muddy muted guitar chords in the outro .... reminds me of Enema of the State/TOYPAJ :D
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music

Yah ... that bridge is FUCKING brutal. Makes me really excited for the album because most of the songs are a lot shorter than this. It makes me feel like the whole album will sound like this.

It's really cool, though. The more and more and more I listen to it, the more I like it. Just that damn chorus LOL.

But that bridge. FUCK. And when the synths come in, it feels JUST like blink. I'm glad that I didn't get that high at first, and that it's going the other way. I am liking it more the more I listen to it rather than starting to not like it. YAY!!!!!
-Hot Water Music

The only parts I have stuck in my head after a day are the Ohs and the Mark stuff during the bridge. I listened to it again this morning to see if it had done anything to improve itself in my mind and alas, no. It remains a departure into something far more generic and unexciting than I could've expected. More music will help, but as of now I'm bracing for intense disappointment.

twitter

Elevator wrote:The only parts I have stuck in my head after a day are the Ohs and the Mark stuff during the bridge. I listened to it again this morning to see if it had done anything to improve itself in my mind and alas, no. It remains a departure into something far more generic and unexciting than I could've expected. More music will help, but as of now I'm bracing for intense disappointment.

Yah, I don't see that chorus really growing on me. THAT is a bummer. But that bridge is getting me excited as fuck. I suggest just listening to that over and over and over ;)

I was REALLY scared when I listened to the song because I was like ... oh god no .... Mark can only do plus 44 it's true! OH NO!!! But then the rest happened.

It's not the greatest song, but I get a great feeling from it, especially with the guitar chugging and the synths.

But I definitely see where you're coming from.

Choruses are difficult. They're the hardest part of the song to make.

I think I would be much more iffy if there weren't a lot of shorter songs and such ... and if there weren't a bridge. If there weren't a bridge I would be like ... oh man ... blink is done.
-Hot Water Music

Nope. I'm starting to dig the chorus a bit. I like when Mark holds the notes rather than singing the jabbing high notes, which is interesting because that's what I was looking forward to with this album, doing the higher notes like in Go and Stockholm Syndrome. But the long notes really save the chorus. Let's see ....
-Hot Water Music

KayTheMagnificent wrote:I royally don't hear the +44. everyone keeps saying that - why does everyone think it sounds like +44? how? is it just because its Mark's voice singing something post untitled or what?

I think the minor notes and style will always remind me of plus 44. Which is strange because Adam's Song sounds nothing like Plus 44.

I'll start listening to plus 44 now to see where that's coming from. But that verse ... man .... that's the first thing that came to mind.

EDIT: I really don't think it's the melody. Because when listening to plus 44 songs, the melodies are different. I just think that Mark, when singing in the minor key, just sings in a particular style. Could be wrong. I can't compare it to any song in particular. When I first listened to it, for some reason, Lilian came to mind, which is strange, because that song is completely different in almost every respect. I'll keep on searching.
Last edited by Broccoli_Apocalypse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Hot Water Music

KayTheMagnificent wrote:I royally don't hear the +44. everyone keeps saying that - why does everyone think it sounds like +44? how? is it just because its Mark's voice singing something post untitled or what?

Agreed. Totally.

I also don't really get the super super high expectations from everyone. Have some perspective. They're blink-182 not The Beatles. And I'm not saying blink isn't massively influential and important because they are, but they made their living on simple lyrics and catchy hooks. This song is no different. It offers both.

Again I urge people to not compare this stuff to older blink. It's a slippery slope. All of those other songs most likely have nostalgic memories attached to them, so nothing they could have done would live up to that hype. It's a lose lose for them, unfortunately. Nothing will ever come close to self titled or enema or TOYPAJ because they all represent those summers and late nights as kids with youthful energy and innocence. We've all grown up since then and now you just have to take their new music as what it is. And it's really solid, to me. Hell of a lot better sounding than Neighborhoods instantly to me.

TL;DR: don't live in the past. 2001 is long gone and everyone is 40+ in the band and this is what it is. Pretty remarkable they're still pumping jams out.

brian. wrote:TL;DR: don't live in the past. 2001 is long gone and everyone is 40+ in the band and this is what it is. Pretty remarkable they're still pumping jams out.

This sounds similar to what I was telling people when reactions to Neighborhoods & DED weren't the best.

Only difference was I really liked both of those.

I don't see my dislike of this tune as having anything to do with living in the past so much as how glaring it was that Tom was blink for me. It's just me. I know that people around here fucking hate Tom and are so glad he's gone, etc, but blink just isn't the same, TO ME, without him. It has nothing to do with politics or what kind of people they are or HE is, or this or that or whatever. It's Tom's voice, his guitar, and his influence on blink that, now absent, leaves a void in me as a fan.

twitter

OOOOOOOH! I think it found it. While it's like an octave lower, It's the melody in Weatherman during the verse when he holds the note out. "But I can't help but wonder noooooooooooooow." I think the chords are the same too?

IT IS!!!

I think I found it.

It's the same chord progression.

So it's not necessarily the melody, it's just the same chord progression. Add that to the fact that it's minor and that's probably what did it.
-Hot Water Music

Broccoli_Apocalypse wrote:OOOOOOOH! I think it found it. While it's like an octave lower, It's the melody in Weatherman during the verse when he holds the note out. "But I can't help but wonder noooooooooooooow." I think the chords are the same too?

IT IS!!!

I think I found it.

It's the same chord progression.

So it's not necessarily the melody, it's just the same chord progression. Add that to the fact that it's minor and that's probably what did it.

plop found it last night and posted the two songs layered on top of each other.
Look: I'm athletic, girl, I've gotten several rec league MVPs.