Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: Bored to Death Discussion

FUCK YEA! in chicago on the friday of my birthday weekend, with all american rejects (my girlfriends favorite band) opening. Could not be more perfect if i tried.

Fucking love that track listing. 16 songs that seem to really bring the album's theme into focus with songs called "Los Angeles" and "San Diego" and then a title track. Maybe it's a pseudo concept album? Elevator, maybe withhold judgment on the album name until its all fleshed out? I actually like the name on its own tho. Its simple, and what blink 182 is all about. Rabbit Hole can be very interesting as perhaps riffing on blinks legacy (or a joke song for all I know) and Brohemian Rhapsody is just the nerdy self-depricating humor that Mark has been known for. So fucking stoked.
Last edited by blinkfan4evr54 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

I like this song way more than Up All Night.

Spoiler: show
Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Song is pretty good. Not great. Seems safe. Definitely more +44 than blink. Not that thats a problem. It just shows how much of their sound (old and new) is actually because of Tom. Still had Ohs and synth even without him.

Liked it though. Cant wait to hear more

Thanks to Kay for the awesome sig!

Elevator wrote:Fun Fact: You can play the guitar portion of First Date's bridge over Bored To Death's almost seamlessly. Same key, just adjust tempo.

Well there you go, there's some Tom influence on new blink after all.

doitforthekids wrote:The new song is good - solid, a little unremarkable and safe, but I'm confident I'll enjoy the new album. UAN > BTD though.

The release of Up All Night was a more special occasion - but I did listen to that song over 100 times in a week. I haven't wanted to listen to Bored to Death more than once.

My thoughts:

- I didn't notice Matt until I read it on here that he is singing some parts in the song
- the vocal bridge is good
- the song is good, but it didn't blow me away

I agree with Elevator. This shouldn't be labelled as blink 182. My iTunes playlist played Overload from Tom's new EP immediately after my first listen and that killed me a bit.

yodda wrote:
Elevator wrote:Fun Fact: You can play the guitar portion of First Date's bridge over Bored To Death's almost seamlessly. Same key, just adjust tempo.

Well there you go, there's some Tom influence on new blink after all.

doitforthekids wrote:The new song is good - solid, a little unremarkable and safe, but I'm confident I'll enjoy the new album. UAN > BTD though.

The release of Up All Night was a more special occasion - but I did listen to that song over 100 times in a week. I haven't wanted to listen to Bored to Death more than once.

I was playing with BTD on guitar trying to do typical Tom-ish things he would've done in a song like this, and then I realized, "I'm basically playing First Date here" and it was a lot of fun. I get it - it's simple, in the Punk Rock Tree of chords, but those Tom-ish things that, admittedly, a lot of people probably hate now, are part of what gave blink it's flavor in the ear.

Up All Night got like...oh god, easily 100 plays the first night it was out. By now? Several hundred times, if not nearly 1000. I have no idea what the number is, but I'm sure it's astronomical/sad.

Bored To Death sits at, maybe 20? But obviously two totally different songs by, and you must all admit this in some form or another, two totally different bands.

And thank you, Mike, for hearing what I heard, or didn't hear, I guess.

twitter

I also didn't like the rhyming structure or maybe word structuring of the chorus on this song.
When Mark sings that "Life is too short to last long" it came over as awkward sounding
like as I was listening I was expecting him to sing: "Life is too short to never last" or something stupid like that.

Although I have to add one thing. Someone managed to make Mark's voice sound quite decent again on this record. I always thought the production he's done to his own voice in the recent years hasn't been the best.

For the rest, I'll stick to what Elevator and I have written.

The bridge is fantastic and a couple of the lines made me smirk (e.g. rescuing a tiger from a tree), but overall the song is just okay. I don't like the "ohs" or how Matt's voice disappears in the song. However, it's the first of many songs and this song may grow on me.