Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: Rolling Stone: Tom.Is.Out.

Zenigame96 wrote:Wow. Just wow. What a wild ride the last 24 hours have been...

I don't even know what to say to be honest. I've tried so hard to trust in Tom, and in turn trust in Blink. Out of all my friends I was the one who had faith that things would work out and we'd get more albums, and honestly even though I didn't like TDW that much, Tom sounded better vocally on that album than he has since Untitled. That alone made me excited for the new album, especially with the whole promise of recording it in the same way they did Untitled etc etc.

I really truly believed that Tom would follow through this time, and he let me down again. He let us down again.

And yet while everybody on here is sitting here talking about how he's such a dick and a tool and a piece of shit and everything I just can't help but feel bad for the guy. Don't get me wrong.... I was incredibly bitter about all the AVA stuff after I found out what actually went down. I really enjoyed WDNTW but when the actual circumstances behind the original hiatus came to light I couldn't stomach the album anymore and got 100% on the Mark and Travis support train. (+44) quickly became one of my favorite groups and WYHSB was an incredible album. I always longed for Blink to make up as friends but I was worried about the potential of the band because of the bad blood... Of course when they re-united I pushed those doubts away and embraced Blink to the fullest. I finally got a chance to see them live (3 times!) and even though they didn't perform the best, the shows were still super fun.

I still just can't believe this is happening all over again.

Anyway.... Is Tom messed up? Yes. Has he acted like a complete idiot? Yes. Do I think he deserves this? Yes. But...I still, somehow, for some odd reason, feel bad for him. I felt nothing like this in 2005/2006. Granted I was 16 then and being a teenager is hard enough, so when your favorite band breaks up like that of course there's going to be tons of emotion. I don't expect myself to be kept up at night sobbing to "I'm Lost Without You" this time around, but it's still a pretty intense roller coaster of negative emotions. I'm just not.... gah I don't even know. I can't sort my thoughts. This is all too much.

TL;DR I wish I were mad at Tom, and I am a little bit. But mostly I just feel bad for him. I feel like Mark and Travis are doing what has to be done, but it's still a sucky situation and really honestly truly genuinely I just want the guys to be friends again. Fuck the band if that's what it comes down to. Just salvage your stupid friendship and go your separate ways with your own projects.... Ugh.

Also
doitforthekids wrote:I swear if this happened with any other band it wouldn't effect me as much, but something about Blink fighting so publicly makes me feel sick. It's like watching 3 of your best friends slowly fall apart.

I feel like that sums up my feelings nicely... :(

Its like your parents fighting

AKA: punksk8r4lif

Spoiler=sigs

Spoiler: show

I have a dream that one day they'll set aside their differences, make amends, record one final album and then do one final world tour to say goodbye. After that they call it quits, and the three of them ride of into the sunset TOGETHER.

But yeah, this is real life.
"I always considered my job in Blink to try to architect new arrangements and sounds to push the band forward. I took on that role, and it was by no means only me -- everyone contributed to the great music that we did -- but I made that my passion, I made that my focus." -Tom DeLonge (Billboard, May 2017)

I ♥ ♫

I feel oddly bad for Tom as well. He deserves it, but something still seems... off about him. I feel like he needs help. Also, and I'm hesitant to say this, but was the tell-all rolling stone interview the best way to go? It was scathing, albeit truthful. Do they even bother with it if Tom didn't deny "quitting" and cause all the confusion?

Like instead of the scathing tell-all, why not release a statement that says the same thing but in a less harsh way. Something to the effect of: "We have tried to schedule things, Tom continues to delay, and now he has backed out of recording and shows at the last minute. Tom is unwilling to do anythign blink related, so we're trekking on without him." The rolling stone article said basically that, but had a lot of character blasting too. As well-deserved as that was, wouldn't the HIGHEST road for Mark and Travis be to just explain the dysfunction of the band in a more neutral way that informs fans of the status, without attacking Tom's character?

Again, don't get me wrong, its clear Tom's character DESERVED to be attacked, and the levels of frustration Mark and Travis are feeling must be THROUGH THE ROOF. Maybe I'm just bummed that as justified as it was, this basically means there is a 0% chance of reconciliation moving forward. Another question: do you think Mark and Travis warned Tom before doing it, or made an attempt to pick up the phone and try hashing this out with Tom himself before taking such a drastic move? I hope so. To clarify tho, I'm definitely still on the "Tom's a selfish, egotistical asshole" side of things.

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

blinkfan4evr54 wrote: Another question: do you think Mark and Travis warned Tom before doing it, or made an attempt to pick up the phone and try hashing this out with Tom himself before taking such a drastic move? I hope so. To clarify tho, I'm definitely still on the "Tom's a selfish, egotistical asshole" side of things.

That's the one thing I hope they did first. If they released the statement without giving Tom the heads up that they were moving on without him, then that's a bit sly. But then again, if he says he is out of all blink stuff for the foreseeable future, then maybe Tom's Instagram post and #hugging tweet were just him playing dumb when really he knew the writing was on the wall.

But after saying Tom wouldn't communicate with them, it would be a bit rich to release that statement to the world without trying to reach him first. But it's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

The most special kind of love of all is the love that exists between two naked women while I watch. - Mark Hoppus

Zenigame96 wrote:TL;DR I wish I were mad at Tom, and I am a little bit. But mostly I just feel bad for him. I feel like Mark and Travis are doing what has to be done, but it's still a sucky situation and really honestly truly genuinely I just want the guys to be friends again. Fuck the band if that's what it comes down to. Just salvage your stupid friendship and go your separate ways with your own projects.... Ugh.

I came to the exact same realization when I woke up this morning.
Look: I'm athletic, girl, I've gotten several rec league MVPs.

It's clear that Mark and Travis did not tell Tom a damned thing, which is why Tom posted what he posted yesterday afternoon.

I'm happy they finally manned up and did it. Do you guys realize they put up with all this shit for years simply to preserve what blink-182 was for the sake of all of their fans? Tom was basically holding them hostage the entire time and they put up with it for a long time.

I'm sure that doing things such as recording Dogs Eating Dogs and playing the UK Festivals this past summer kind of made them forget about this petty shit that has happened in between those things, but how can you not flip a shit when the guy signs the fucking record deal that HE DEMANDED and then backs out a week later?

Good on them for flipping him the middle finger. He deserves every bit of it.

They said they haven't spoken to Tom in months in person. Everything was done through email through management. I'm sure they were past the whole hashing things out phase. They were told Tom is out and asked multiple times to clarify. Looked like Tom was done. Mark and Travis have been trying to record for months.

As far as doing the interview, do you remember what happened last time? They released that statement and that was it. People wondered for years what really happened and they were constantly asked about it. As more time passed it became more difficult to talk about. It's all out there in the interview now.

Maybe if Tom didn't come out and said, hey, I never quit, tee hee everything's cool right guys? Maybe the interview never happens. They needed to come out and explain, no Tom, you did quit, here's why and how you did.

KayTheMagnificent wrote:
henry wrote:I think something important to note is, Tom's seen and read the RS article, he's chosen not to deny anything. Instead he tries to deflect onto how they may have discussed replacing Travis. He's got next to nothing as far as this story goes.

Yeeeah I thought that. he could have refuted any of it, but instead chose to dig up something like that.

To me, it sorta felt like it was a tease for something to come. Like he wanted to just post something to let everyone know he's still there and has a response.

I'm so anxiously awaiting a response from him though. I assume EVERY music publication has contacted him in attempts to get the interview.

henry wrote:They said they haven't spoken to Tom in months in person. Everything was done through email through management. I'm sure they were past the whole hashing things out phase. They were told Tom is out and asked multiple times to clarify. Looked like Tom was done. Mark and Travis have been trying to record for months.

As far as doing the interview, do you remember what happened last time? They released that statement and that was it. People wondered for years what really happened and they were constantly asked about it. As more time passed it became more difficult to talk about. It's all out there in the interview now.

Maybe if Tom didn't come out and said, hey, I never quit, tee hee everything's cool right guys? Maybe the interview never happens. They needed to come out and explain, no Tom, you did quit, here's why and how you did.

Oh yea I hear you and I'm with you for the most part. I suppose you're right. They DID say the last time that Tom didn't want to do it anymore, and the fans took sides. I'm sure they thought its high time to tell the whole truth to let people know that there is NOT two sides. Tom doesn't want to do blink and, on top of that, was lying and/or disingenuous the entire time. I still like to think that, despite how badly things had broken down, this whole process involves at least an ATTEMPT to contact Tom directly to say, "if you don't let us know whats up and stick with these commitments, then you're done." Like do they have each other's numbers? Does Tom screen their calls?

Thanks MilfredCubicle for the sig!

Goddamnit Tom. I just saw the tweet rereading what I missed in here. >_>

I don't even know what to say or feel about it.

Also, the Tom/Mark hugging gif killed me. :skull:

Elevator wrote:But hey, pardon me for trying to be objective here. Maybe I should just say "Fuck Tom, he's dead to me, burn his ashes and piss on his grave for ever existing."

Elevator wrote:Haha yeah, fuck Tom! What a pompous shithead.

Elevator wrote:fuck Tom.

Elevator wrote:Yeah, I hope Tom dies and stuff for breaking up that band I like.

Did Tom delete that tweet?

"Tom and Travis are my brothers and I'd do anything for those guys. When all of this is said and done, we'll all be together looking back going 'fuck, we made it'."
– Mark, UC2

"So many other bands just fight, they don't get along and hate each other, but when things come down the road that are hard and gnarly... It's just us three, I feel like it doesn't matter, I feel like we can do anything"
– Tom, UC2

What went wrong?

El Salvador wrote:
brendan wrote:I feel sick that I've supported AVA while Tom was fucking over his friends that made him famous over the last twenty years. Can't wait to get the dream walker vinyl and never support anything from this guy again.

Hold up.Tom is an absolute dick, again and that's unforgivable. But if anything it was Tom who made Mark and Travis famous. He started the band. Which one of the reasons why I can't imagine blink without him inspite of his shitty attitude.

You missed the point. They all made each other famous.

I'm trying to think of what Tom could say in this situation to defend himself but I can't ever see me choosing his side.

Guys, just think of how many years we've spent in these forums getting absolutely pissed off and almost depressed at the fact that blink stuff kept getting delayed. I even started to dislike Mark because of it. I would always ask the forum and myself "How come these grown men can't just do their job and make a fucking album? It's not that hard when you're rich and getting paid to do it." And looking back at it, it all makes so much sense now. We all knew it was Tom who was holding them back, but we never had the proof.

When Mark mentioned that within only 5 days of Tom bringing up recording an EP for Christmas, he flew out of London to go record, that shows dedication from Mark's stand-point. Mark has always loved blink-182 and it really shows. Especially now.

Tom has lost all my respect. Those clips of Mark and Tom hugging don't make me sad at all, they make me angry. He played all of us. We were just his greedy attempts to make more money so he could put it towards a shitty fucking anime film and a subpar set of spacey fucking albums.

I'm heated. I hate Tom.

https://coastingband.bandcamp.com

I don't know that it's fair to say that Mark living in London had nothing at all to do with the delay. If they were both living in the same state, there might have been more opportunities to meet up quickly and have quick random jams. With Mark being in London things would have had to have been scheduled ahead of time. With Toms busy AVA schedule, maybe he had a hard time trying to find a big block of time for Blink.

That being said I think Mark would have bent over backwards to record had Tom showed an interest.