Thank you from everyone at 182online.com.

Re: Rolling Stone: Tom.Is.Out.

brendan wrote:I feel sick that I've supported AVA while Tom was fucking over his friends that made him famous over the last twenty years. Can't wait to get the dream walker vinyl and never support anything from this guy again.

Hold up.Tom is an absolute dick, again and that's unforgivable. But if anything it was Tom who made Mark and Travis famous. He started the band. Which one of the reasons why I can't imagine blink without him inspite of his shitty attitude.
"I always considered my job in Blink to try to architect new arrangements and sounds to push the band forward. I took on that role, and it was by no means only me -- everyone contributed to the great music that we did -- but I made that my passion, I made that my focus." -Tom DeLonge (Billboard, May 2017)

I ♥ ♫

What I don't understand is how he continues to pour money into these insane "art projects." They can't be cheap to produce, and for a fan-base of what I imagine is like ... maybe 100,000 people?? (of which probably 75% are Blink 182 fans). I just... like... how fucking stupid is he? He's alienating himself from his own fan-base. Its just him on his thrown at the top of Mt. Delusional.

Baseless speculation:

I think when the reunion first happened, Tom was genuine about wanting to start the band back up. But as soon as all the nostalgia faded he immediately regretted the decision (hence the awkwardness very early on). He did, however, realise that blink was still capable of selling out arenas and a good opportunity for $$$ and a way to put himself back in the spotlight after AVA had its moment. So he stuck with it and half-heartedly played the blink shows while making himself out to be this drunken slob for two years. The old tensions with Mark and Travis began to arise once more (not necessarily in an active 'I don't like you' way; they could still function as business partners and perform together and all that) and Tom knew he did not really want to record with blink. That's why Neighborhoods was recorded lazily and separately. There's still some decent stuff on there, but his writing was done mostly separately away from the band, and his motives were likely out of obligation more than anything. But again, he needed funding for AVA (or maybe he just wants $$$ since so much of AVA doesn't feel sincere to me either), so he continued to tour (he wasn't able to fund the films or anything until post-reunion which played a part in his continuing to tour with blink rather than just call it quits then). This doesn't mean that there weren't those moments where he actually enjoyed touring with blink- it wasn't all fake, but his overall motives weren't all that good. Then came time for Dogs Eating Dogs which was a combination of a sincere desire to reignite things and Tom's desire to experiment as a business model and all that. He then decided that blink wasn't worth spending his own money on hence all the label stuff. Fast forward to December 2013 when shit was getting real with the labels and producers and dates and more shows and all that- combined with AVA being well-received for once- Tom finally decided to own up and admit he was done. I doubt there was a pivotal moment in his life, I just think he knew he didn't want to follow through with any of this. This is a good thing, but he chose the worst possible method of telling this to the band. He delayed recording further, followed by another email saying he's going on indefinite hiatus (an attempt to not completely burn bridges), repeating the same methods as last time. He was too scared to just own up in a respectable manner. Either that or he thinks Mark and Travis are really just idiots who will continue to put up with it, but we'll assume the former.

/endspeculation.

El Salvador wrote:
brendan wrote:I feel sick that I've supported AVA while Tom was fucking over his friends that made him famous over the last twenty years. Can't wait to get the dream walker vinyl and never support anything from this guy again.

Hold up.Tom is an absolute dick, again and that's unforgivable. But if anything it was Tom who made Mark and Travis famous. He started the band. Which one of the reasons why I can't imagine blink without him inspite of his shitty attitude.

I hate this 'Tom started the band' argument. he was a 16 year old writing shitty riffs in a basement with an occasional drummer friend and then he met Mark and magic happened.

blink is NOT solely Tom. it's the combination of Tom and Mark, and it always has been. Tom is not some magic music ninja. he's a subpar musician with awkward lyrics and a terrible attitude who, in his youth, managed to connect to a lot of people with the music he created.

He's not a visionary, he's not the freakin' messiah, he's a rich moron with an ego the size of a sold out arena at a blink show.

I don't understand how people even still see him like this.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Chuck-182 wrote:Okay so some crazy shit just happened, Tom just tweeted that he and Mark had discussions about parting with Travis a year. What the fuck?!

This could potentially be worse than the first break-up. Freaking egos man.... to go from post-plane crash to right back in the same situation again. Dysfunctional, ridiculous, childish, so many words to describe this band.

I bet the Travis stuff is completely different.

It could be more to do with touring limitations or something and nothing was said of what Mark actually thought of it.

Maybe that was just Tom being stupid. But if that is for real wow. What a show.

If I had to guess it's also far more likely that Mark and Travis have sorted all that out unlike with Tom's bs.
Last edited by carlcockatoo on Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlcockatoo wrote:I bet the Travis stuff is completely different.

It could be more to do with touring limitations or something and nothing was said of what Mark actually thought of it.

Maybe that was just Tom being stupid. But if that is for real wow. What a show.

I think it had to do with the Australian tour.
There was a lot of controversy about Travis wanting money that he didn't deserve/saying he was coming to Australia then pulling out; the organiser of Soundwave had some pretty harsh things to say about him. Obviously all that got resolved, and Travis and Mark are on good terms, so it seems kind of childish to bring it up now.

i woke up to this news.
bad taste in my mouth, im glad things get ''cleared'' up from mark and travis' perspective.

thinking tom is a schmuck, but ill try to stay calm.

tom even tweeted out
'' a year ago mark and i spent a week on the phone with managers debating parting with travis...dont pretend there isnt more to this story''

he later deleted this

im sad that it has to be like this. this is ugly as hell. i just dont want it to be like this

Out of sight, out of mind, I remove myself Out of mind, my whole mind state is out of line