Kay Reviews

In this thread, I ask for people to suggest albums by any band or artist they want, new or old, and I will review it, in detail, regardless of what it is and try to be as unbiased as possible.

I have various reasons for starting this. people have mentioned before that they'd like to read my reviews and that I'm quite good at critiquing music. I have also always had a passion for it and wanted to take it further. I also want an excuse to listen to a bunch of different bands, and I think in some ways it'll be amusing.

so yes, leave suggestions. I will post the reviews in here, but boldly title them so you can scroll through and find them easier around suggestions.

I've had a few suggestions already, so expect 'Simple Math' by Manchester Orchestra soon (I'm on track four as I type this).

NOTE - They do not need to be of a similar genre to blink or anything like that. It can be whatever you like. my only veto is anything rap related or anything by Justin Bieber.

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Re: Kay Reviews

dead cool idea. Best part was the bieber veto.
2nd favourite band is nirvana. (no rush but) when u get the chance a review of 'In Utero' would be sweeeeet, since i love it dearly but never really talked with anyone properly about it as an album.

The most special kind of love of all is the love that exists between two naked women while I watch. - Mark Hoppus

Just a suggestion, but I think to make this thread easier to follow and to make things easier on you, you should break reviews down by the week. Maybe start off by telling us what reviews you'll be trying to get done this week so we know what to expect. Also, so they don't get lost in the comments all requests for reviews should be made by way of PM.

Thank You Kay, You Sexy and Magnificent British Sex Beast!

Nirvana would be a challenge, as I've never been a fan, but I will definitely do it, may just take a while. it's on the list!

Matt Melanoma wrote:Just a suggestion, but I think to make this thread easier to follow and to make things easier on you, you should break reviews down by the week. Maybe start off by telling us what reviews you'll be trying to get done this week so we know what to expect. Also, so they don't get lost in the comments all requests for reviews should be made by way of PM.

Thats also a good idea but I don't think people would go to that much effort. I will probably do one or two a week, depending on how many suggestions and how much time I have. if it becomes a problem I'll ask for stuff to be sent in pms, for now it's just a good way to compile ideas. I also feel if the thread became solely the reviews themselves I'd have no idea what people thought about the reviews.

I'm halfway through the simple math review already btw kids. listened to it twice through. giving it a third spin and then doing my final write up. honestly will probably have it up tonight (it's almost four am, fuck sleep!)

My Music

KayTheMagnificent wrote:Ohhh why did you have to say Frank... I have a whole sordid torture complex about Frank. His first two records are astounding. the rest is drivel. I'll consider doing his latest but I may have to be bribed...

I will gladly substitute him for The Gaslight Anthem. I just kinda figured you would like him, if you didn't already listen to him. Now I know. Personally, I'm not quite sure what to make of the new record. still want your opinion though

Susan made this, I dug it up from the grave

tumblr/twitter

Okay, with future reviews I will probably listen to them a lot more indepth. but considering I listened to this album three times through I seem to have a lot to say about it... this is my first go so please don't judge too harshly haha

Manchester Orchestra
Simple Math

Similar Bands - My Morning Jacket, Fair, Youth Group
Track Suggestions - April Fool, Virgin, Simple Math
Star Rating - 6/10

Manchester Orchestra is one of those bands that are similar to other bands I adore, and have been suggested to me on numerous occasions as a band I should listen to, as they are 'right up my street'. for some reason, I've never been taken with them. but this album has impressed me a little.

It's very cohesive. which may be a downfall, in the eyes of some. I have trouble telling a few songs apart, but some people can prefer that sort of stock sound a band can produce, others would find it rigid and boring. I sort of fall on both sides. on one hand, I don't feel like the album has me in it's pull after a few tracks in, but on the other hand, I would definitely throw this record on for long walks alone in the dark on my iPod, or in the background for 'private' time with a significant other.

The first two tracks really got my attention. the first, Deer, seemed like a nice, welcoming embrace as album openers go. most try to punch you in the face, Deer however, is more of a warm musical handshake. which is completely over thrown when Mighty, the second track kicks in. but after these tracks, (with a few exceptions suggested above) the album sort of melds into one epic... yet forgettable... mess.
this by no means makes the album bad, if anything you could argue the album has a 'whole' sound that flows well. my main point is a lot of tracks on their own are very weak, and just seem to fill up the track numbers.

Instrumentation wise, this album is very eclectic. the guitar work in this album is stunning. from heavier, crunchy riffs to melodic haunting solo pieces, the percussion is solid and the bass work is subtle but in the right ways. there is also a lot of strings and various other orchestral pieces interwoven in some of the heavier songs... the seamless additions of two conflicting styles is impressive, it really helps with the anthemic impact that some of the songs generate.

Lyrically I find a few songs quite appealing. they have some very interesting ideas and I've always had a soft spot for bands that have lyrics that don't particularly tell you what they completely mean. personal interpretation in lyrics is something I highly value, so I appreciate the style and ambiguity of theirs, however, I doubt this is where there appeal lies. I'm presuming, from my listening, that this mainly attracts people because of the atmosphere it creates, not because of the messages one could take from it.

Ultimately, from a few listens, I think this album has great potential, but as for initial impressions, it's impressive, but not something I would invest in. I would recommend it for anyone who really loves the feel of guitar heavy indie rock, with a tendency towards the dramatic.

You can hear this whole record, legally and free, here : http://www.columbiarecords.com/simplemath/

My Music

Pinkerton - Weezer

Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

have you guys ever gone to sputnikmusic.com? it's a place where people come together to write reviews. it's pretty awesome. and if you don't want to write reviews, you can just rate albums. and the cool thing is is that your ratings show up on your profile page as a pie graph. idk, this thread just kinda reminded me of it.
I was hanging on by a little thread.
Just minutes before I was on a mountain.
I screamed "I can see all."
The ground broke from the sound.
It was all built on nothing.
Caution: the solid ground that you are on will slide from under you.
-Hot Water Music