Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#4121
yodda wrote:
Muttweed182 wrote:Frank Ocean has pretty interesting R&B music (sorry if I'm mislabeling it) if you're into that sort of thing yoda. Like a more underground Usher or something. Again sorry if I'm off the mark.

I'm intrigued by the track with string arrangements by Jonny Greenwood.
I think I just remember listening to some Frank Ocean years ago and it was not my thing.

I actually think you'd really dig it - most definitely not rap music. Alternative R&B is probably the closest description.


(Maybe my song of the year right now)


(Another favourite from the album - samples The Beatles)
Image

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#4122
doitforthekids wrote:
yodda wrote:
Muttweed182 wrote:Frank Ocean has pretty interesting R&B music (sorry if I'm mislabeling it) if you're into that sort of thing yoda. Like a more underground Usher or something. Again sorry if I'm off the mark.

I'm intrigued by the track with string arrangements by Jonny Greenwood.
I think I just remember listening to some Frank Ocean years ago and it was not my thing.

I actually think you'd really dig it - most definitely not rap music. Alternative R&B is probably the closest description.


(Maybe my song of the year right now)


(Another favourite from the album - samples The Beatles)


gave it the one listen
It's nice, dude - somewhat underwhelming considering the massive amounts of hype
the first track puts me off a bit because it reminds me a lot of the Jason Mraz/Bruno Mars style of RnB that never has vibed with me
and the second track just made me want to listen to Age of Adz

however, this whole genre (as well as relative sub genres) has never been terribly exciting to me
I listened to that Pimp a Butterfly album and only found 3 or 4 tracks that I re-visit
tis my loss considering that now seems to be the golden age for it - at least I assume - since these artists are getting all the good reviews
Which is a shame - I feel daring and competent bands such as of Montreal, Deerhoof and Animal Collective are being superseded by artists who utilise image and flashy production tricks.

However, I am looking forward to new music by Solange and Janelle Monae.
Image

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#4127
OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:What does everyone think of the new Descendents record?


I have never ever listened to the descendents properly before but I spun the new record yesterday morning. it's very samey but very fun, I quite like "Without Love" I don't think I could listen to the whole record often but its good background music.

gompy182 wrote:

This is my shit


I've seen him live, supporting Watsky. not a big fan of his music myself but he's a really chill dude. throughout his set he kept yelling "SAY MY NAME!" with everyone yelling back "ANDERSON PAAK!" and then at the end of the show he came out to talk to people and my mate Chris, in the most british-asshole-sarcastic way ever said "Oh I'm so sorry, what was your name again?" and his face fell in annoyance/amusement and he was like "noooo! it's anderson paak!" it was very funny.
Image

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#4132
Kay wrote:
OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:What does everyone think of the new Descendents record?


I have never ever listened to the descendents properly before but I spun the new record yesterday morning. it's very samey but very fun, I quite like "Without Love" I don't think I could listen to the whole record often but its good background music.


If you want to properly listen to them, you should start with Milo Goes to College or Everything Sucks. I started with those two and was hooked ever since. The new record is very solid, I think.
Image

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#4134
Kay wrote:I'll check those out, I have listened to the new record a bit but its still quite same to me. it's very fun though, I love the bass work. puts Mark to shame tbh.

Funny you say that because Mark always says how he's super influenced by him hahaha That's Karl Alvarez, who's also on Everything Sucks. There first two albums, one of which wasc MGTC, had a bass player named Tony Lombardo, who's bass riffs sound different but great in their own way. Tony is just as important to fans as Karl, unlike Scott/Travis or something.
Image

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#4135
Christian wrote:
Kay wrote:
OBGYN_KENOBI wrote:What does everyone think of the new Descendents record?


I have never ever listened to the descendents properly before but I spun the new record yesterday morning. it's very samey but very fun, I quite like "Without Love" I don't think I could listen to the whole record often but its good background music.


If you want to properly listen to them, you should start with Milo Goes to College or Everything Sucks. I started with those two and was hooked ever since. The new record is very solid, I think.

I'm gonna throw in a recommendation for I Don't Wanna Grow Up. That's my favorite album from them. I got into the Descendents thanks to the HIMNIM podcast back in the day when he played "Silly Girl." And I LOVE "Christmas Vacation."
Image

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#4137
saw Luca Brasi, Pup and Moose Blood last saturday in Milan, cool show in a very small place
people were going mental over Pup, had to seriously step away from the mosh pit lol. Honesly i don't find them so good
MB was so emotional though :sad:
Image

I wanted you but never told. I went nowhere, you went gold...

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#4139
frisky wrote:How many times can Yellowcard remake Paper Walls? Thank goodness they are done.

Paper Walls is my favorite album by them. I loved the new album. "A Place We Set Afire" kicks so much ass.
Image

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again."
9/28/09 Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks to Kay for the sig :)

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#4140
Back in July I came across this album:



I loved it and thought it would be awesome to listen to in the Fall. I told my g/f that I wanted to buy it to listen to in the Fall. I completely forgot about it until today when I got this email:

You told me to remind you that you wanted to buy this album on July 21. So I wrote an email that day and said don’t deliver it until now :D Aren’t you proud of me?! Lol :D Because this was the only way I would remember to do it for the fall.

Here’s the link even in case you need to watch it again to make sure you still want it. To see if it actually is an album you would enjoy in the fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KVXA9pun8s
Look: I'm athletic, girl, I've gotten several rec league MVPs.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron