The Other Bands Random Topic

#1
So I thought it would be cool to give the Other Bands thread it's own Banana Stand-esque place to post about music. I noticed we had a place to list what we were listening to, and we could make a thread about bands, but a lot of times I just have one off comments to make about something and not have to keep making new threads.
Also I noticed a lot of us tend to post music talk else where on the site, I kind of wanted to help curve that and give it its own place to live. I was thinking this can be more involved than the What Are You Listening To post, but not as specific as posting post after post of different bands, when for the most part, those posts only get but a few replies and then go out into the ether.
Hopefully this place will stick and not be trashed, but I leave that up to the the admin.

I'll start out by saying:
I just heard the new Sublime (with Rome) single... is it sad that I liked it better than the original Sublime?
Last edited by Agent 12 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Thank You Kay, You Sexy and Magnificent British Sex Beast!

Re: El Stand de Plátano de Música

#2
That's very sad because the original Sublime kick a mega amount of ass. But the single "Panic" is actually really good.

Hmmm band I'm listening to at the moment? I'd say as far as bands go I've been listening to Codeine Velvet Club's album... I hope they do another, it's really sweet swing rock.

If any of you care to check out I'd suggest listening to "The Black Roses" or "Little Sister."
Image

Re: El Stand de Plátano de Música

#3
This isn't so much of a band you're listening to at the moment sort of post, we have that already; this is more of a random things to say about bands/music in general. Think about it as the random topic, but for music.

I've got personal issues with the old Sublime, I can do a couple of their songs but that's about it.

Anyone else wish pop punk would go back to being good music, instead of whiny trust fund babies crying about their lives? God, give me a guitar, bass, drums, and a little angst and immaturity and I'll be in heaven!
Image

Thank You Kay, You Sexy and Magnificent British Sex Beast!

Re: Musical Randomness

#4
I like the idea. We did after all have a page discussion about genres in the rant section and obviously that needed to be in its own topic.

Been listening to instrumentals a lot lately.

It's amazing how every rap/hip-hop song has an instrumental version but maybe 10% of rock songs have authentic (not karaoke) instrumental versions.
Image

Re: Musical Randomness

#5
I think that's because rap is words set to music and rock is music set to words..... also, rappers don't make their own music... I'm being an ass. I'm sure there are plenty of talented rap musicians out there.
Image

Thank You Kay, You Sexy and Magnificent British Sex Beast!

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#7
There is no easy way to say this, but music has permanently changed for the worse. Because of the internet, major labels are slowly dying and clinging to their few titans to produce their income. The internet and access to editing suites and autotune have made becoming a self-sustaining musician easier than ever. Also the internet has made countless websites for amateurs to host their music and promote themselves for free. Steal photoshop and read a few tutorials and you can make a very pro-looking page.

So combine the factors and you have endless millions of people:
1) recording professional-quality music...
2) ...using stolen professional-quality editing suites...
3) ...hosting them on their professional looking website...
4) ...and what do you have?

The answer is a completely free (and often free by necessity!) marketplace compiled of endless artists that all look and sound the exact same in terms of quality. There is absolutely zero distinction between some studio-backed artists and some guy in his basement. Mid-major labels are drowning and dying, local scenes are all closing (and will soon all be closed) courtesy of people not needing any outlet for music past their computers.

Music consumers standards are now unmeetable, as in order for their ear to even give a non-established band a chance, the quality in every regard must be impeccable. Small bands that don't steal thousands of dollars worth of software/blow money on overpriced equipment have no choice but to spam people via social media in order to gain attention; however when you multiply that by millions of bands, a lot of casual music consumers lump all small bands together in with the other spam that clutters their inboxes and wall notifications.

In summary, music is going through the first Great Depression of an artistic medium in modern history: the elite few bands/artists reap the benefits and get the airtime, everything else is starving and dying away into musical nothingness. For many smaller bands, this is the worst time in the last century to form a band with the intention of making some sort of living. You literally have a better shot of becoming a professional athlete or president of the united states.

That being said, the reason top-100 radio sucks is because of this: there are so few artists/bands pumping out music that it doesn't need to be anything good - major labels write basic melodic noise with meaningless lyrics, hand them to someone who can sing and is attractive/well known, and autotune the fuck out of it. Because there's no realistic competition, it doesn't matter - take a turd, slap a name on it, it'll sell.
Image


twitter

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#8
Elevator wrote:
Spoiler: show
There is no easy way to say this, but music has permanently changed for the worse. Because of the internet, major labels are slowly dying and clinging to their few titans to produce their income. The internet and access to editing suites and autotune have made becoming a self-sustaining musician easier than ever. Also the internet has made countless websites for amateurs to host their music and promote themselves for free. Steal photoshop and read a few tutorials and you can make a very pro-looking page.

So combine the factors and you have endless millions of people:
1) recording professional-quality music...
2) ...using stolen professional-quality editing suites...
3) ...hosting them on their professional looking website...
4) ...and what do you have?

The answer is a completely free (and often free by necessity!) marketplace compiled of endless artists that all look and sound the exact same in terms of quality. There is absolutely zero distinction between some studio-backed artists and some guy in his basement. Mid-major labels are drowning and dying, local scenes are all closing (and will soon all be closed) courtesy of people not needing any outlet for music past their computers.

Music consumers standards are now unmeetable, as in order for their ear to even give a non-established band a chance, the quality in every regard must be impeccable. Small bands that don't steal thousands of dollars worth of software/blow money on overpriced equipment have no choice but to spam people via social media in order to gain attention; however when you multiply that by millions of bands, a lot of casual music consumers lump all small bands together in with the other spam that clutters their inboxes and wall notifications.

In summary, music is going through the first Great Depression of an artistic medium in modern history: the elite few bands/artists reap the benefits and get the airtime, everything else is starving and dying away into musical nothingness. For many smaller bands, this is the worst time in the last century to form a band with the intention of making some sort of living. You literally have a better shot of becoming a professional athlete or president of the united states.

That being said, the reason top-100 radio sucks is because of this: there are so few artists/bands pumping out music that it doesn't need to be anything good - major labels write basic melodic noise with meaningless lyrics, hand them to someone who can sing and is attractive/well known, and autotune the fuck out of it. Because there's no realistic competition, it doesn't matter - take a turd, slap a name on it, it'll sell.

I'll spoiler that so it saves room ;) and I'm not gonna comment on alll of that, but i do have something useful to say and that it's not the writing of music that's getting worse despite what most people say. I've heard so many people complain that no good music is being written anymore and music is dying, and that's a lie. In the 60's or the 70's when most people claim the golden age of music was, there was so much crap music out there that it was really disgusting. Except nowadays, we have the rare privilege of being able to skip all that crap and instead focus on the gems which we all remember, the "classic rock" etc.
Except, most people think that the only music being made back then was this incredible rock music that dominated the scene, and then they through in disco as the example of the "bad music" (even though disco is awesome! But the thing is, the terrible music that most people didn't hear about wasn't heard about because it was terrible. If you sucked, no one listened to you and therefore no one was able to listen to you, because there was no such thing as the internet to spread viral the Rebecca Black's of THAT generation.
But now thanks to the good ole web, we hear everything that the music industry churns out it's backside, and it's all the more obvious that most people shouldn't be writing music.
Ugh, too much writing...I need to go sit down
Image

Previously known as NotForsaken

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#9
Title Fight's Shed is a masterpiece.
Image


Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#10
About the major label industry- Fuck 'em, they're exploitative bullshit companies anyway. When money supersedes talent and ability the talent is lost. It's the best thing to happen to music in 40 years.

About Title Fight-That's not a bad song, I'm usually not one for that type of music, but I enjoyed that!

You know what band I miss? Smash Mouth... not the Disney-fied version, but the early Smash Mouth, the Fush Yu Mang days! That was such a great album!
Image

Thank You Kay, You Sexy and Magnificent British Sex Beast!

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#11
Matt Melanoma wrote:About the major label industry- Fuck 'em, they're exploitative bullshit companies anyway. When money supersedes talent and ability the talent is lost. It's the best thing to happen to music in 40 years.

About Title Fight-That's not a bad song, I'm usually not one for that type of music, but I enjoyed that!

You know what band I miss? Smash Mouth... not the Disney-fied version, but the early Smash Mouth, the Fush Yu Mang days! That was such a great album!

I agree completely. If anything, small labels and self-sufficient artists are thriving now more than ever.
Image


Sig by KayTheMagnificent

"Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous." - Mark Hoppus

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#14
Marco wrote:from Justin Pierre's twitter:
Image

:cheers:


Fuck to the yes. I cannot wait.

If I started a thread in here, called something like "Kay Reviews" in which I ask people to suggest any album, by any band for me to review, for the following reasons ; To introduce me to new music, to torture me with music ya'll know I dislike, to help me hone in on and work on my critique skills, to be amused by my negative tongue in regards to certain music, other reasons etc. who would A. suggest albums and B. actually read it?

... or in a more direct way, who would be interested in a thread filled with me having to listen to a bunch of bands you suggest and do detailed, and attempted 'balanced' reviews of their albums?
Image

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#15
KayTheMagnificent wrote:
Marco wrote:from Justin Pierre's twitter:
Image

:cheers:


Fuck to the yes. I cannot wait.

If I started a thread in here, called something like "Kay Reviews" in which I ask people to suggest any album, by any band for me to review, for the following reasons ; To introduce me to new music, to torture me with music ya'll know I dislike, to help me hone in on and work on my critique skills, to be amused by my negative tongue in regards to certain music, other reasons etc. who would A. suggest albums and B. actually read it?

... or in a more direct way, who would be interested in a thread filled with me having to listen to a bunch of bands you suggest and do detailed, and attempted 'balanced' reviews of their albums?

Holy shit Kay, can I give you the first album to listen to? This idea is spectacular and I am whole-heartedly behind it!
Image

Thank You Kay, You Sexy and Magnificent British Sex Beast!

Re: The Other Bands Random Topic

#19
Blink182fan21 wrote:Review the new Manchester orchestra album, Simple Math. Just to see if you could like it.


I always mean to get into them and never do, I'll give them and Matt's suggestion (when he gives it) a whirl and post it into the new thread (when I do it) and we'll see if it becomes a thing. I'd like it to, tbh.
Image

My Music
I am doing a sponsored head shave for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Please donate via my company page!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron